• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco wont start!

stevenscott55

Loc.
Chillicothe
Let me start by saying this bronco has been a pain since go I think I would have been better off leaving it alone and just driving it, it would at least do that before I decided I was more mechanical than I really am lol!!

When I bought the bronco it hadnt been started in a year and the guy said he would get it running when I cam to pick it up which he did! It has been started 5 times since then and hasnt been started since feb 6!

I rewired with a painless harness and after a month I finally got the guts to start it put a little gas in the carb and cranked and it started right up but it started when I kind of let off the key like in between start and on and it ran for probably ran for 3 min but I had to keep my foot on the gas the whole time and when I let off to see if it would idle on its own it died!

So we tried to start it back up and it just turns over! The battery ran down so I put it on charger overnight we changed the fuel filter and tried to start again and still nothing!

So what do you think it could be its getting gas and theres power every were so should I start with plugs and wires or coil or distributer? The coil looks like Noah brought it over on his ark so Im thinking try that?

What coil would you recommend just get one at orielly or get one from wildhorse?

Any help would be appreciated because I have no freaking clue what to do and the mechanics and the people who just drink beer and tinker wont give me any advice so please help!!

thanks Steve!!

mcknight77

Loc.
Caldwell, ID
1. Make sure it's got spark. Pull a spark plug wire off and hold it close to the rotor cap while the car is cranking. If it has spark you should be able to see/hear the spark/arc jumping from the wire to the post. If it doesn't have spark, fix that problem.

2. Make sure it's getting fuel. Disconnect the fuel line downstream from the pump and make sure the pump is pumping while the car is cranking. If it has fuel coming the pump, pour an ounce of fuel in the carb inlet. It should start.

If that doesn't work, get back to us.

ENDLIFE

Make sure you have 12 volts going to the coil from the key. I know you said you have a new harness but if the wire is hot going to your coil then the next step I would take is checking the resistance of your coil to verify it's bad, and make sure one of the wires on the hot side of your starter solenoid hasn't worked loose. Electrical problems SUCK, but Mcnight gave you a great start, and hopefully you'll have a great start. ;)

OP
OP
S

stevenscott55

Loc.
Chillicothe
Still nothing

It is getting gas I can see it spraying out when you work accelerator!! I removed a spark plug wire and didn't see anything but I don't know if I was doing it right I unplugged from spark plug and held by distributor?

Any ideas?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Get a brand new spark plug and put it into one the plug wires. Set the plug next the the engine block (away from any fuel!) and turn the engine over to see if it sparks. If it does-change all the plugs as they more than likely are fuel fouled. If it doesn't spark then you obviously have other problems but that's the first thing I'd do.

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
I see from your profile you drive a 69. Does it still have the points dizzy or did you upgrade to electronic?

Hard starting and poor idle are what you get when the points burn out.