• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco's, murders & a MI cop that didn't stop.

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
If anyone's looking for a very good book to read, 100% true story with Broncos, check out "Darker than Night" by Tom Henderson, It's about the murders of two deer hunters in Michigan that happen in 1985 and took ~20 years to solve. The Hunters drove a 1980 Bronco that the Michigan State Police continue to search for, along with the two hunters for damn near the 20 yrs. Get this, the Detective the solve the case was nicknamed "Bronco" partly to his hobby of restoring old broncos. He may even be a member on here. I'm half way through the book and can't put it down. Detective Bronco Lesneski was station at the East Tawas location (not sure if he still works there). My folks have a place just outside East Tawas and I have seen a yellow classic bronco in the MSP parking lot a few times, maybe it's Bronco's. Next summer when I'm up there I may stop by and just ask. There's a lot more to this book then I have time to write here but I leave you with this. I don't think they ever found the Hunters body's, supposedly they were fed to pigs and two brothers are now in prison for life.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I am friends with the son of that detective I believe. Same last name and the dad and the sons all have EB's. I will have to ask him about the book. I think they look at this site once in a while.

Confirmed..my freind is his son. (he has never told me about this), going to have to have him tell me the story, i dont have time to read......

Last edited:

77Bronco636

It's a great book and a very well told story. I always find myself reading it right before hunting season every year. Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck every time!

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Ok the suspense is killing me, now I have to go buy the book. As I do lot of hunting in MI, and have relatives in East Tawas.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Thanks man. I ordered the book off Amazon and after I read it I'll probably not want to go hunting in the woods again. ;D

Henry

OP
OP
clarkaw1

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
I have been in the bar that the incident started in. It's in Hale MI.

This book mentions all different area's and places. Like the Bar in Wixom O'Shea's Tavern, been there. There's a lot mention about Cass City in the book too. by the way my Father's from Cass City. All you Michigan natives, that's old enough should remember this story. I forgot a little myself but it all comes back after a couple of chapters.

OP
OP
clarkaw1

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
Thanks man. I ordered the book off Amazon and after I read it I'll probably not want to go hunting in the woods again. ;D

Henry

Yeah it makes you think big time about what a strange world we live in. And how some people can do the things they do. Let me know what you think after reading it.

jhill52

I have been in O'Sheas also. I am originally from Milford.

The lesson to be learned from the incident is don't get in fights with rednecks in bars. Unfortunitly that area of Michigan has some pretty rough characters.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I got the book on Saturday an started it Saturday night. I finished the book last night. It was a great read. The was the fastest I have every gotten through a book. Crazy story. It is so weird that crap like this happens and people like that are out there.

Henry

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
got mine from Barnes and Noble on Nook $7.99. Excellent book and glad to see that justice prevailed. Those killers were some bad dudes.