• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buckaroo Carbon Fiber Ram Air

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Well here it is from start to finish. As mentioned in my earlier teaser thread. Some will think its cool. Some have said it cant be done. Others have said why bother on a bronco. How ever it’s viewed it is something I have wanted to do for a while and have searched CB over and over to come up with some ideas on how to execute and always came up empty handed.
A month or two back I accidentally left the hood pins out of my old hood and arrived back home with a shattered windshield and badly cracked fiberglass hood. After installing my new hood I knew it was the perfect time to put the effort into making a fully functional Carbon Fiber RAM AIR

It started off with a few measurements that were transferred to a sheet metal template.
Then the search for an air cleaner base that sat at the right height the finding the right height air filter assembly
After a crude mock up with the sheet metal and air cleaner assembly I began making my mold for the bottom tray out of ABS incorporating a couple of bends and a molded in drain rail. Once that was completed and test fitted I carbon fibered up the bottom tray then cut it down to size, sanded it up and test fitted it to where it needed to be to be able to use it as the template for the top/lid.

I then made the mold for the top out of ABS and molded in a button top to where the air cleaner/wind nut would go for added strength and then moved on to carbon fiber up the top. It was then cut down to size and sanded then test fitted.

After everything fit the way I wanted it to I then began to sand for what seemed like for ever to get it all ready for a shot of clear coat.

After being completed and test run it was still missing something so I hopped on ebay and found just what I needed to top it off. A factory Shelby GT350 air cleaner decal that say none other than 351 C.I.D. RAM AIR

Trevor

Attachments

• sheet metal template.jpg
    sheet metal template.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 36
  • CF Bottom&Top Sanded2.jpg
    CF Bottom&Top Sanded2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 76
  • CF Top Mold1.jpg
    CF Top Mold1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 55
  • ABS Top Mold1.jpg
    ABS Top Mold1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 42
  • CF Bottom Tray1.jpg
    CF Bottom Tray1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 74
  • CF Mold4.jpg
    CF Mold4.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 63
  • CF Mold1.jpg
    CF Mold1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 55
  • ABS Mold4.jpg
    ABS Mold4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Buckaroo Ram Air Done1.jpg
    Buckaroo Ram Air Done1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 181
  • Looking in Hood Closed1.jpg
    Looking in Hood Closed1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 106
  • CF Top&Bottom Clear Coated1.jpg
    CF Top&Bottom Clear Coated1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 64
  • CF Bottom Tray Clear Coated1.jpg
    CF Bottom Tray Clear Coated1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
couple more pics

couple more pics

Attachments

• Looking in Hood Open1.jpg
    Looking in Hood Open1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Looking in Hood Closed2.jpg
    Looking in Hood Closed2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 84
  • CF Top Clear Coated1.jpg
    CF Top Clear Coated1.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1c_1.JPG.jpg
    1c_1.JPG.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Amsoil Filter.jpg
    Amsoil Filter.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 47

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Very Nice ;D ;D ;D

Better plan on making a few more, cause once word gets out there may be a few folks that will want one...

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Buckaroo Hood

Its the Wild Horses Buckaroo Hood

Attachments

• IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4397.JPG
    IMG_4397.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 118

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Wow that looks great! The ingenuity displayed here and in other threads on CB is amazing. Good job.

Dusty

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Very Nice ;D ;D ;D

Better plan on making a few more, cause once word gets out there may be a few folks that will want one...

Well I thought about it but I think there are too many variables to be able to make one that will fit all. Being that I have a 2" BL 351W with 1" carb spacer I'm sure the design would have to be a bit different in height to fit a 302 or a bronco with out a BL.

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Wow that looks great! The ingenuity displayed here and in other threads on CB is amazing. Good job.
Dusty

Thanks Dusty
I'm now ready to head back to pismo and have some fun;D ;D

Jfly13 said:
That looks great! Does the ram air make much a difference with performance?

Well so far I have just had it out through the neighborhood for a quick shake down yesterday afternoon. But from many past experiences my engine likes cold air much better. When running out in the dunes it definately like it better at night when the temps drop down so I'm sure it should help with the cold air supply

OP
OP
TJK74

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
That is awesome!

Is working carbon fiber just like working fiberglass?

Yep exactly except for carbon fiber to gain full structural strength it needs to be baked at above 250 degree's for at least 2+ hours which will naturally happen sitting under the hood.;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nice work. This would look good as a shaker hood sticking through a cut stock hood too! ;D