• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread: Names "FRIDAY" and I'm a LUBR

66broncofan

Contributor
Why "FRIDAY"?- Because that's the only day I ever get to work on it!

Adiction #3 - sorry it's long!

As far as addictions go - I have this one real bad. I guess everyone needs a hobby (or should I say vice). I want to introduce you to my addiction and give you a bit of its history with me.

I moved to Colorado from California in 1993 driving this very stylish restored 1968 200D MBZ. My dad and I had rebuilt this classic and just before my wedding my Dad had it painted so I could cruise the California coastline in style on my honeymoon. I loved that car, lots of great memories restoring it and driving it as well. In college it was affectionately named Casper for its ghost white appearance and the way it seemed to float down the road.

In September of 1993 I drove Casper loaded to the windows to Colorado from California as my wife and I relocated there three week after we were married. I remember filling up on diesel fuel in Reno NV and not filling it again until I got to a truck stop on the south side of Salt Lake City, UT - something like 525 miles talk about great fuel economy! (Oh to have that in a bronco) When I arrived in Colorado Springs we parked it, unloaded it and she sat there overnight. Casper gave up the ghost that night and that engine never fired again! While Casper sat waiting on new life I purchased my first Bronco.

I was working part time in construction and passed by this Copper Bronco everyday on my way to work. I finally stopped to inquire about the newly placed 4Sale sign in her window. We struck a deal and the Bronco was now mine!

A 1972 Bronco - the addiction was on. Two years later she was gone! Uncle Sam wanted more of my measly 17,000 salary than I had anticipated. The copper bronco had to go. Needless to say, I was devastated and couldn’t wait to get my hands on another one.

A couple years later I bought a 1974 with a C4, and power steering, a bit of an upgrade from the ’72 except for the beltline rust. In January of 2001 I acquired my third bronco, a 1966 super stock, uncut beauty with very little rust to speak of. I was now the proud owner of 2 Broncos at one time! I was in hog heaven; however my wife said one had to go. The ’74 drew the short straw and was sold to a former student for what I paid and put into it (when can a person do that?!)

I only problem with that ’66 was it was gutless. The 170 is great on torque but lousey to drive on the highway (kind of like Casper was). Despite it’s lack of get up and go I fell more into the addiction and love the nuances of owning the ’66.

There was a time when I wanted to sell it… September of 2005 I had had enough! Too many mechanical problems, no time to work on her, and still no money - I’m sure you all have been there! I was complaining to a friend of mine and told him I was going to put it on the market when I got home. I did and had 16 emails almost immediately! My friend, a true friend in deed, would not let me sell it. He called me and said to bring it down to his Shop and he would get it running right. I took him up on his offer and had it towed to his body shop.
My good friend then conspired with my wife to do a “mini overhaulin” on the Bronco and he stripped her down. His finances got really tight and the Bronco sat behind his shop for three years. I knew he really wanted to do it up right for me and I was so grateful for that blessing. In fact, one time I mentioned to my friend that the Bronco had been there over three years and he was crushed!

Well last November, 2008 I had had enough. I couldn’t take it any longer; the ’66 had to live! I started taking one day a week to work on the beast at my friends shop. How many guys have a buddy who owns a body shop and is willing to let you use all their cool tools? I get to do what I always intended to do and restore my Bronco, but I get to do it with his expert guidance. I’m having a blast!

Here is what I started with and this is some of the work that I get to do on my rig! I’ll update pictures as I have time to chronicle my progress! The plan … I want to have it on the road by this summer 2009! Done? Nope! Are they ever?

Added pic of the 74 after one of my former students got ahold of it. FILLED IT WIHT NEWSPAPER!

My plans are to leave it uncut, 1” BL, mild 2.5” suspension lift, maybe 31x10.50’s or 33x9.50’s. I have a 351 and a 302 to decide about upgrading too, power steering, chevy disc conversion on the dana 30, hydroboost, 6 point chage and a bunch of other stuff!

Attachments

• story 1.jpg
    story 1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 153
  • story 3.jpg
    story 3.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 240
  • story 2.jpg
    story 2.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 229
  • brocno.jpg
    brocno.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Here is what she looked like

Basically what she looked like when I got her!

Attachments

• front for site.jpg
    front for site.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 71
  • story 10.jpg
    story 10.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 92
  • story 9.jpg
    story 9.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 45
  • story 8.jpg
    story 8.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 43
  • story 7.jpg
    story 7.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 73
  • story 6.jpg
    story 6.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 80
  • story 5.jpg
    story 5.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 56
  • story 4.jpg
    story 4.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Sad thing is I've lived in Palmer Lake 2 1/2 years and I've never had the bronco home. You may have seen it parked for almost 3 years near the north nevada onramp to I-25. Just north of the Harley Dealership. Not there anymore - the shop moved just off Sinton Rd.

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Some of the rust I had to remedy. So far i have replaced floor pans, drivers striker, drivers rocker, passenger inner fender apron, patch panel for passenger side rear bed panel behind wheel well. I have patched numerous other less severe ares as well. I tore into both door posts and rebuilt what was necessary. I will post some pictures once I get them downsized a bit.

Attachments

• rust 6.jpg
    rust 6.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 60
  • rust 5.jpg
    rust 5.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 54
  • rust 4.jpg
    rust 4.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Rust 3.jpg
    Rust 3.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 55
  • rust 2.jpg
    rust 2.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Rust 1.jpg
    Rust 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 48
  • HPIM0921.JPG
    HPIM0921.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 50
  • HPIM0920.JPG
    HPIM0920.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 57

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Haha, I remember it being there, I used to see it almost every day (near that lawnmower shop under a tree behing a chainlinked fence?). I stopped to look at it a cupla times and noone knew aythin about it. My dad was thinkin about buyin it if he could find the owner cuz from a distance the body looked like it was in good shape. Then one day it was gone! Guess I know where it went

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Yep thats is the one. It always looked so lonely under that tree!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Great story! Now that you've posted your commitment we're obligated to bug you until its finished.... We want weekly pics!!!

ghost66

Bronco Guru
That's a great story, good luck on getting it road friendly. Nothing better than a nice day and a drive in the Bronco. I'm doing that right now, weather is mid 60's I'm off work for the day and driving around with a pit stop at Starbucks to read Classic Broncos and answer emails.

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Thanks Wade - remember me I bought those 66 seats from you a number of years ago. Well they are finally going to be in this summer. In fact I am painting the broco a similar silver and a very dark blue. Should look sweet!

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
When I removed the fenders and started poking around at the back clamshell of the door posts and I noticed some rust/rot. I decided to open up the backs of the posts and fix any problem areas.
I cut out enough metal to gain access to the whole post. As you can see in the pictures I patced new metal in and POR'ed it as well.

I found that the retainer "straps" that held the hinge backing plates in were all rotted out. Rather than just remove the rotted stuff and risk loosing the bakcing plates inside the post down the road I fabricated and installed new straps and POR15'ed the inside area of the door posts like crazy. I circled the new straps in the pictures so you all could get an idea.

I also had a lot of fun removing the door hinges (once I found that heat was my best freind) I did the lift off door hinge modifications that is explained in the tech articles. I post pics of that later!

Attachments

• door6.jpg
    door6.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 96
  • door5.jpg
    door5.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 118
  • door4.jpg
    door4.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 112
  • keepers1.jpg
    keepers1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 117
  • door post 1.jpg
    door post 1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 143
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 97
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 124
  • door8.jpg
    door8.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 112
  • door7.jpg
    door7.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 67
  • door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
inner apron r & r

The passenger inner fender apron had rust in the usual spots but was also buckeled (can't really see it in the pictures), I decided to replace the panel instead of patch. The pictures showed me plasma cutting the spot welds, (I prefer the control of a spot weld drill - a lot more fill in work later using the plasma) my son air hamering the welds apart and taking off the air intake box, and my buddy tack welding the panel back in place. Once it was all welded in I had my boy and his freind POR15 the panel.

Attachments

• apron 8.jpg
    apron 8.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 122
  • apron 7.jpg
    apron 7.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 100
  • apron 6.jpg
    apron 6.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 98
  • apron 4.jpg
    apron 4.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 77
  • apron 3.jpg
    apron 3.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Bryan at work.jpg
    Bryan at work.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Bryan at work 1.jpg
    Bryan at work 1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 87
  • apron 1.jpg
    apron 1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 76

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Thanks Wade - remember me I bought those 66 seats from you a number of years ago. Well they are finally going to be in this summer. In fact I am painting the broco a similar silver and a very dark blue. Should look sweet!

Didn't know that was you but glad you are almost back on the road, keep sending the picks

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
So Far into it!

I will post more pics on Monday. I'm considering removing tub to do a frame off at this point. I'm so far into it I might as well. and I can get good access to seam seal and finsih off the undercarriage and por 15 the frame and install the suspension.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Amazing how these jobs snowball into a big project, isn't it? I just spent the morning rebuilding my entire exhaust system when all I started to do was replace a gasket between the manifold and the pipe!

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great progress! That is one of my favorite Bronco things... to have my 15 year old help me. Of course when I say "these are times you will tell your friends/kids about", he just smirks and says "Yeah right Dad!" I would help alot if there was a girl standing around to impress though!%)

OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
Dash Modification

Well the PO messed up a perfectly good radio delete dash by mounting the stereo in the grill. Stupid! If that had not been done I would probably just modified the hinge as I am also putting a front cage that will interfere with the glove box. Instead, I decided to eliminate the grill all together and move the glove box more toward the middle. I had a lot of fun doing this!

Attachments

• dash primer guide 2.jpg
    dash primer guide 2.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 61
  • HPIM1953.jpg
    HPIM1953.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 72
  • mod w filler 2.jpg
    mod w filler 2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 82
  • mod w filler.jpg
    mod w filler.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Original.JPG
    Original.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
66broncofan

66broncofan

Contributor
drivers and Passenger floor pan r&r

I did this about a month ago but finally getting around to post some pics. The PPO put aluminum street signs ("stop do not enter" - should have been my fist clue) over the rusted floor boards. He did an excellent job -lol- of caulking the seams so water would get trapped and rust even more. I decided early on not to entirely remove the upper floor pan but instead graft to it. In hinds sight I wish I had removed all the way up to the seam. Anyway, I will be putting some sort of bed liner in and it will build up and hide some of the stuff that bugs me.

Attachments

• Pass tacked in.jpg
    Pass tacked in.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 83
  • pass removed por15 1.jpg
    pass removed por15 1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 98
  • pass removed por15.jpg
    pass removed por15.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Drivers tacked in.jpg
    Drivers tacked in.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 101
  • drivers removed 1.jpg
    drivers removed 1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 64
  • drivers removed.jpg
    drivers removed.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 68
  • POoriginal.JPG
    POoriginal.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Passinstalled.jpg
    Passinstalled.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 75

ElkhartBronco

Loc.
Cedar Bluff
I am in the process of replacing the drivers side floor just like what you have here. I am having second thoughts about what to do around the seams? Do I weld the entire floor pan in place? Do I tack it in place and use some kind of sealer (ie. Line-x, POR-15, Hercluliner) This is the first major piece of flooring I am replacing and the only one that actually does need help. I just want to make sure I do it correctly. Any tips?