• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build to start lag time

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy all. Is there a rule of thumb to go by that suggests how long is too long between engine build and first start? Assume proper priming before start. In other words, if I got my engine built this summer, but didn't start until next summer, am I asking for trouble? I was shooting for rolling chassis with all installed, exhaust etc this year, then marry body and finish next year.

As always, thanks

Hank

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Theoretically you could store one indefinite if you put oil in it, primed it and turned it over a couple times every 6 months or so and then fog the cylinders. The problem is time tends to pass by, humidity gathers and then surface rust starts. If you can hold off on the build and leave it till you are ready or leave it as a long block and store it in your house keeping it from humidity would be best.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I built my 289 and stored on a engine stand for probably 10-15 years in the garage. Turned it over maybe twice in that time. Installed it 3 summers ago and it was like the day it was built. Got 5K miles on it no problems. The stuff is put together covered in oil so no rust should form. Water can condense in there but it would just sit on the outside of the oil covered parts. Oh and in that 10 to 15 years our garage went through many 30 below to 80 degree temp swings in the winter when we fired up the garage heator. That alone would make a shit ton of condensation in my motor.

I don't see the point of turning a stored motor over? There is now way that would do anything but wipe the cylinders clean of any oil in there to begin with. Its impossible to get any oil from the pan to anyplace in the motor by turning it over by hand....I couldn't even get my lifters to prime with a drill on the distributer shaft. It didn't finally prime until I installed it and fired er up. And on some builds if you have a new cam shaft you don't wana turn it over at all until you start the motor for the first time. If you do it will wipe the break in lube off the lobes.

I wouldn't in the least bit sweat storing a motor for a few years. hell they sit in the junkyard for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 years and you usually can hook up a battery and fire that sucker up and drive it home! Well maybe not because the brakes and tires would be shot but the motor should run just fine.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Assemble with assembly lube or oil and wrap it tightly in a heavy plastic bag. Assembly lube is thicker and won't leach out of the bearings and off the cylinder walls (no need to turn it over, in other words). A friend of mine and I just recovered his inherited F100 from the ranch out in west Texas, sitting up out doors since '94 with sparkplugs and oil bath intake filter installed. No rust in the cylinders, turned it over with the starter and it was nice and smooth. I expect it will fire right up with some gas and new ignition parts. Sitting won't hurt it!;)

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all. Sort of what I suspected. Last engine install i did was started just a couple days after rebuild so wasn't sure.