• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Impulse...Almost Start time...

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Izzy, truck looks really good! If you are truly gonna just use the red one as a daily driver/mild dirt use then I would probably swap them. They will be useless on a daily driver that doesn't see the dirt much. Overkill!

Whatever you do, have fun with it!

Can't believe you abandoned the white one???? :eek: Hopefully you found her a good home that is gonna get it back on the road!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My thoughts...
I would not use 28 spline axles on anything bigger then stock tires. Thinking of the mid 70's when nothing had any power Ford still upgraded all the trucks to 31 spline. too many horror stories of 28 spline for me to want to run them.

With the 5.0 in place of the 351 I am betting the 4.88 gears will be matched really well. If you are going to do the 5.0 swap, hold off on the gears until you drive it with the 4.88s first. I always thought that rig was slightly overgeared with the 351 torque, 4.88 gears and the 33's. Thought a smaller motor would be perfect for this gearing/tire size.

The front is a Lock-Right. It would be easy enough to remove and put regular spiders in for an open diff. If you decide to keep the 4.88 in the red beast and move the locker to the toy that might be a better option. The detroit in the rear can be a bit much for street duty, I don't hav a good answer for what to do here until you drive it with the 4.88 5.0 combo and decide what you like. remember that the 9" housing has those axle wedges welded on for the torque arm, That will add to swapping difficulity.

For the history of that truck, the 351 is at least the 3rd engine in that rig I can account for; original, 302 freshly rebuilt with dual Edelbrock carbs when I first saw it, The 351 that is in it now. The Explorer engine would be at least #4 I can count.
For the 351, It is a '70 that I got out of a friend's '67 mustang (vehicle #2 at least), that went into the '69 (#3) , and when it goes into the crawler that will be #4 that I know of. The '67 mustang that the 351 came out of is still running around on a nicely warmed up 302 (at least engine #3 I can account for).
...And people wonder how much parts can be swapped around?

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thanks Tim. I really appreciate the insight you have since you know so much about the rig.

It sounds like I should focus on swapping the motors first and then got from there. If it's best to keep the 31 spline axles in the beast, then I might as well leave the lockers in place as well and maybe plan to put 35 spline axles in the rock rig.

I'll focus on the engine swap first and then consider my next steps.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I'm sure my mind will change a million times but after a day of running different ideas around, I'm currently planning to leave the beast alone (except swapping the engine) and picking up some full widths for the rock rig.

We'll see where this now goes. ;)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v2md1t

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Finally got some work done...

After 2 months of talking about doing stuff, I finally got a weekend to work on the Bronco. I didn't get quite as much as I wanted done but it's a start.

This officially starts phase 2 of the Red Beast as I prep'd the engine for removal. The 351 is going in the crawler and the 5.0 is going in the beast. I got everything out and disconnected and ready to pull the engine which I hope to get done sometime this week but if not, I will Saturday.

I also pulled the tank out as it's being replaced with the BCB tank. The rear bumper came off to make room for the Protofab.

The hardest part about swapping bumpers is having to cut off the brackets that are welded to the frame which held on the previous bumper.

Up next is to clean up and paint the engine compartment in preparation for the new engine. I also am replacing the front fenders, grill and hood with new pieces so that all has to come off.

More to come...

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 101

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont ever get as much done as I want either. Seems like I get one little thing done at a day and that is my limit.

I have lost track of exactly what you are building, Sheesh you may just be worse than I am about having more than 1 project going on at a time! So just post up a bunch of pics and I'll catch on eventually;D

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I have lost track of exactly what you are building, Sheesh you may just be worse than I am about having more than 1 project going on at a time! So just post up a bunch of pics and I'll catch on eventually;D

As soon as I know, I will let you know...lol

The focus right now is to get the 69 red beast back on the road with the 5.0 EFI in it. It will be my street driver.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Update: Got the engine out and on the stand. It will get prepped to go into the crawler.

I started putting the 5.0 back together, put in some new lifters and made sure I torqued everything doen this time. One of my mistakes from last year has been un-covered though. I did bend a push rod when I had the timing chain on wrong last year. Glad I caught that now...Ordered new ones from Jegs so can't finish putting it together until they arrive.

I'll spend the rest of the weekend cleaning the engine compartment, put some paint on it and installing the new BCB tank and fuel lines. Will also try and get the new bumper one.

One step at a time.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
......Been waiting on some engine compartment progress pics!

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Question: Who in their right mind takes a freshly painted rig apart? This guy...

I feel like I've taken a big step back but it will come back together better than before. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I do have brand new parts to replace everything that was removed. I just wanted to improve the lines etc.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 66

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Question: Who in their right mind takes a freshly painted rig apart? This guy...

I feel like I've taken a big step back but it will come back together better than before. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I do have brand new parts to replace everything that was removed. I just wanted to improve the lines etc.

Enjoy.

The more you take apart...the more you can put back together:eek:;D