• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Up Question

carterb

I have a 75 that i will be doing a frame off on.

This following is what i plan on doing...

Add disc brakes front and rear
new 3.5" lift kit
all new bushings/ screws
brake lines
rebuild the stock 302
of course blast and paint frame and chassis ect...
new fibergass body
basically a whole new truck.

My question is this......it has been sugested that I start w/ another donor frame. get a 76 or 77 front end and rear end.(FOR Disc Brake purposes), put the lift on it. basically get a new rolling chasis, before even touching my currently running 75 bronco, in order to make the build up easier. Then I can start transfering parts over from the 75, as I refurbish them.

DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GO AND WORTH THE EXTRA EXPENSE?

This will be my first restoration im a novice.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
No, I don't think that it will be worth the extra expense. The only thing that you would be gaining by finding a 76 or 77 rolling chassis is the front disc brakes.

Converting your 75 front end to disc brakes isn't too bad. As long as your current frame is in good condition, I would say just keep your 75 and have fun.

OP
OP
C

carterb

I have someone who has offered a DISC BREAK front, end rear end, and blasted frame for $950. I think a conversion kit is around 900. would that info change your opinion?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have someone who has offered a DISC BREAK front, end rear end, and blasted frame for $950. I think a conversion kit is around 900. would that info change your opinion?

That's not a bad price for a rolling chassis...but I think you'll find that you can do a disc brake swap for a lot less, especially with Chevy parts. You could always buy the roller and make a trail rig to bash since your resto'd rig will probably end up too nice to beat around in the woods. ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Maybe. It would save a bit of work if you could just transfer parts over.

Blasting a frame cost me $125.

I did my disc brake conversion for about $250 (and that included new hub/rotor assemblies and new caliper assemblies). This doesn't include the price of the brake booster.

Does the rear end that is available to you also already have discs on it? What gears does the new front and rear have? What about the differentials? Any lockers/posis in the new or old setups? What does your rig currently have for gears?

I would think about it for sure. I am still not sure if I would do it, though. Depends on the condition of your current frame and the other things that I mentioned.

OP
OP
C

carterb

well my current rear end is a small bearing 9", the new one would be a large bearing. new one does not have disc already on it

the new 44 front end has the complete disc assembly on it. not sure the gears in either one. Would prefer to not use the chevy conversion parts if I can go with oe ford stuff.

current frame is in good shape but needs to be blasted, painted ect..New one ahas already been blasted and painted.

A SPARE ROLLING FRAME IS APPEALING THOUGH GOOD START TO ANOTHER PROJECT DOWN THE ROAD

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ahh. I didn't know that you had a small bearing rear. I would find out what gears each had - as well as find out if either setup has limited slip diffs/lockers/etc. But, the more that you describe, I would probably go ahead and grab that rolling chassis. If nothing else, you can sell the parts and make some coin. That is a good price for it.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Buy his and sell your rolling frame for a bit less and put that back into the project. My only concern is the vin and what smog lows you have and if they would have any effect on a '77 frame over a '75.

Oops, just realised you already said you were putting on a F/G body... disregard the vin thing. But I would still look into the smog differences between the two is and your local requirements. If any.