• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Building rock rails

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Everyone likes pics, right? Here are some of my rock rails I finally got to work on last night. This is step 26 in my ongoing effort to get my '72 ready for paint. %)

I won't go into too much detail since several people on the forums have already done this, but if you have questions feel free to ask.

More pics here: http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/6375

rock_rails_133_text.JPG

Attachments

• rock rails 193.jpg
    rock rails 193.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 334
  • rock rails 177.jpg
    rock rails 177.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 295
  • rock rails 178.jpg
    rock rails 178.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 275
  • rock rails 181.jpg
    rock rails 181.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 289
  • rock rails 182.jpg
    rock rails 182.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The steel is 2"x6". I almost got 2"x5" because I was worried it would stick out too far. But now that I have my new War Flares on the 6" looks perfect.

Attachments

• rock rails 184.jpg
    rock rails 184.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 140
  • rock rails 190.jpg
    rock rails 190.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 136
  • rock rails 183.jpg
    rock rails 183.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 153
  • rock rails 186.jpg
    rock rails 186.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2009-11-26-Trucks_Moab_097.jpg
    2009-11-26-Trucks_Moab_097.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 2009-11-26-Trucks_Moab_185.JPG
    2009-11-26-Trucks_Moab_185.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2010-04-11 FR41 Trail 038.jpg
    2010-04-11 FR41 Trail 038.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Looks good! I am doing the exact same set up and have everything cut out ready to weld in. I went with 2x6 also.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks excellent! I am trying to decide on width with mine too. I am running the gorillas so I might do 4x4 with tubes out. I do like the look of how you have done it though.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It won't be long and I'll be working on mine also - the pics give me a good direction to start in. I like the way the 2x6 sticks out too. What wall thickness are you using - looks like .120? How are you going to tie it into the frame?

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What wall thickness are you using - looks like .120? How are you going to tie it into the frame?
Good eye. Yes, it's .120. I was going to go w/ 3/16" but when I got to the steel yard it just looked way too beefy.

I'm not going to tie them into the frame. I'm welding to the body. I'm pretty confident the load will be spread out sufficiently to not cause damage. I'll post back with trail carnage pics if I'm wrong. ;)

Are you going to cap the ends?
Yes. I haven't cut the ends yet. They'll be angled to match the flares. (lines drawn in the pics)

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Looks good! I am doing the exact same set up and have everything cut out ready to weld in. I went with 2x6 also.
Did you cut below the door sill in the same place I did? What are you using between the top of the 2x6 and the sill? I'm planning on going w/ some 3/4" stock.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm welding to the body. I'm pretty confident the load will be spread out sufficiently to not cause damage. I'll post back with trail carnage pics if I'm wrong. ;)

My wife's rig has BC's rocker gaurds and it is the same principle - spread the load. They've seen some rock rash and I've used them for a high-lift jack lift point before with no problems.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Rock rail

I like the look of the 2x6 tube. I went with the 3x3 just because that's what I had handy. I cut the old rocker off about 1/2 inch below the door sill bend and put the square tube up against the body on the inside if the sheetmetal 1/2 " lip. Worked for me but the front fender didn't fit well. I cut the bottom off the front fender and welded a 1" piece along the bottom and bolted the fender to the rock ski. I added a nerf bar later just because. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• DSCN1096.jpg
    DSCN1096.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN1095.JPG
    DSCN1095.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 191

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Looks like mine. I did use the 3/16" wall tube. I capped the ends with 1/4" on an angle to match the flares. Very solid, you can jack the whole side of the Bronc up using these.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Wow! My rockers aren't in the greatest shape, and I was thinking of doing somthing along these lines. This is great info. If a guy wanted to get really creative you could do a half assed exo-cage from these to tie into the bumpers, outlining the wheelwells. Might look kinda funky, but would really help protect the sides when serious rockcrawling.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Jon,

Looks good...you might want to add a couple 1 x 2 jack studs just so it touches the frame with a rubber pad between...just in case the truck slides down a rock and comes to rest on the rocker. This will use the frame as an extra support while not being attached to it. Just a thought.

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
bronko69er, did his with 4x6 tube and capped the ends. The reason he went with 4x6 was to make them into air tanks. I can't remember the thickness.

I want to do something like that, but I am torn as my rocker panels look good. At least for right now.

Martin

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I did the same mod this Summer.

I used 3/16" 2X6 box. I did not tie into frame. I also cut my old rockers about 1/2" below door sill. I did not put anything inbetween the sill and rock ski. Hardest part I thought was welding the backside of the sheet metal to the rock ski. Here's a pic of mine finished.

Jon - You going to test those at this year's Stampede? Almost no better place to test recent mods than the Flo Jct area.

Attachments

• Bronco 2.jpg
    Bronco 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 317

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Did you cut below the door sill in the same place I did? What are you using between the top of the 2x6 and the sill? I'm planning on going w/ some 3/4" stock.

I wound up with some angle iron after looking at my options. Found some aluminum, but the stock wound up costing more than $100! 3/4 was too thick and left a gap. I am going to run a strip of the angle iron centered in the sill welded to the top of the 2x6 like a teepee. It is the perfect heighth and should provide the support needed to keep the sill from caving in.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I like the look of the 2x6 tube. I went with the 3x3 just because that's what I had handy. I cut the old rocker off about 1/2 inch below the door sill bend and put the square tube up against the body on the inside if the sheet metal 1/2 " lip. Worked for me but the front fender didn't fit well. I cut the bottom off the front fender and welded a 1" piece along the bottom and bolted the fender to the rock ski. I added a Nerf bar later just because. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

That is a nice look, and that was just what I had planned to do. I do how ever need to make friends with someone with a tubing bender! Once painted you would really have to look to tell that was not a rocker.
Did you tie it to the frame?
Shawn

Amac70

ME
That is a nice look, and that was just what I had planned to do. I do how ever need to make friends with someone with a tubing bender! Once painted you would really have to look to tell that was not a rocker.
Did you tie it to the frame?
Shawn

well i guy with a tubing bender needs to make freinds with a guy that can cut glass.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
well i guy with a tubing bender needs to make Friends with a guy that can cut glass.

Well I can cut the Shi.....crap out of glass, just need to find and be-friend a guy with the tubing bender!!%) ;D ;D

Shawn