• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

building some Lars Bars

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
4 of us got together to build some Lars Bars last Saturday. We found a fab guy in San Jose, CA who bent the tubing and made the brackets for us. Ended up being $300 in material for each of us or $150/arm. We later found a cheaper source for the 2x.25 but we had already purchased the tube. We also could have used cheaper brackets and rod ends from someone like RuffStuff or Ballistic Fab. Got most of the cutting and grinding done. We'll get together another day to do the welding.

Slotting the tubing on a vertical knee mill.

We borrowed the welding fixture from Lars.

We chop sawed the arms to length and then used a plasma to notch them.

A bunch of grinding to the arms to make the tubing fit just right.

Here are the brackets made by the fab guy. Copy of the PolyPerformance ones that Lars used. The guy burned "L-Bars" into them as a tribute. Kind of cheesy. I may weld mine in.

Rod ends we got from the fab guy. Same size as used on the Duff arms. 1.25" I think. I think Lars used Currie johnny joints.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Those brackets are only $30 or so a pair(at least they were the last time I bought them) at poly performance, way to cheap to pay a fab shop to make them for you IMO.... I sure wish I had a plasma cutter when I make them, I do it all by hand with a 4" grinder and cut off wheels. Still doesn't take too long if you know what you need to do...

I've done a few sets myself. You'll be happy with the final product!

OP
OP
gddyap

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Those brackets are only $30 or so a pair(at least they were the last time I bought them) at poly performance, way to cheap to pay a fab shop to make them for you IMO.... I sure wish I had a plasma cutter when I make them, I do it all by hand with a 4" grinder and cut off wheels. Still doesn't take too long if you know what you need to do...

I've done a few sets myself. You'll be happy with the final product!

The PP brackets are $35/ea. I would have been fine with these for $23/ea:

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Heavy-Duty-Frame-Link-Mount_p_1511.html

OP
OP
gddyap

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
more

Grinding a chamfer on the joint end of the tubing for a better weld on the threaded bung.

Welding the radius arm heads onto the tubing using the fixture.

First two done, with the rest waiting.

All they need are shock mounts and paint.

One of the 8 is a little off. We will probably make a new one to replace it.

STD

Loc.
Waukesha, WI
Very nice. I am going to be doing a one off version once I get the bronco in the garage. Mine are going to be square tube.

OP
OP
gddyap

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Unfortunately we only made enough sets for the four of us. We're not in the business of making extended arms. I'll ask the guy whose tools we used if he'd be interested in making another set. Material cost was $300/set. There was a fair amount of labor involved but that was due to never making them before. We learned a lot as we went which would make it faster to build if there was ever a next time.