• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bulletproof C4 build

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
broaderperformance rocks !! I'm stressing the shit out of my c4 with over 650hp and 600ft lbs and it's all jays parts and assembled by me. works great and takes a beating. 3500 stall and I have yet to see oil temps over 200 even after multiple back to back 100 yard passes.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Well I made a little progress but I had a setback, the #9 needle bearing kit comes with a spacer that has an inner diameter or 1.625 and the rear hub of my case has an outer diameter of 1.58. I emailed Broader tonight and I will call them in the morning but they are really busy. I don't know what the likely-hood of getting one overnighted for Saturday delivers is, but I am hoping it will happen. I am running out of time to get this thing running for my boys Birthday and he wants to have his party out in the woods, so I need to get the Bronco back on the Road. Anyway here are some pictures of my progress I got all the linkage back in and the Sonnex servo and the rear servo installed.

Attachments

• sonnex-servo-installed.jpg
    sonnex-servo-installed.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 57
  • rear-servo-installed.jpg
    rear-servo-installed.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 57

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
had the same issue , don't recall jay having a optional spacer. if I remember correctly he had me epoxy my spacer to the housing. That or I didn't want to wait for lead time and shipping for a different spacer and jay said the epoxy method would work. just be sure you air test everything before you button it up and install it, It can save you a lot of grief.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
had the same issue , don't recall jay having a optional spacer. if I remember correctly he had me epoxy my spacer to the housing. That or I didn't want to wait for lead time and shipping for a different spacer and jay said the epoxy method would work. just be sure you air test everything before you button it up and install it, It can save you a lot of grief.

So what just glue it down with two part epoxy?

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
yeah. did you talk to jay about a different spacer yet ? I took a center punch and penned around the housing to hold the spacer some and then epoxied it in place per jays suggestion if I remember correctly. as long as it cant fall/move much the torrington will run on it, I have not torn mine down since it has not had a issue of any sorts to see how's it's held up so I assume its still fine.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Dang, I envy you guys that do this stuff yourself! I am headed to pick mine up now. $1k C4 rebuild. :-[

Love the color of that powder, btw!

74Stroker -- curious what you do with your beast that uses a 3500 stall?

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
mostly 100 yard sand drags and sand play. it is street legal also and FUN AS HELL on the street. So far I have stayed away from the local mud drags recently but that may change, I hate all the cleanup work associated with mud and also usually by the end of the drags i.e. the semi finals or finals the track is so deeply rutted the fast guys either forfeit/make a easy pass/ or go like hell and hope not to flip/roll it from catching a rut wrong which I have seen several do !, and I would hate to tear my rig up like that but you never know lol .

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
yeah. did you talk to jay about a different spacer yet ? I took a center punch and penned around the housing to hold the spacer some and then epoxied it in place per jays suggestion if I remember correctly. as long as it cant fall/move much the torrington will run on it, I have not torn mine down since it has not had a issue of any sorts to see how's it's held up so I assume its still fine.

Yeah I was actually thinking about welding two tabs onto the back of it with the TIG that would engage where the old thrust washer tabs went in and then epoxy the tabs in. My other though was drilling 4 small holes in it and the case. and then pinning and epoxying it in place.

I called Broader and they said send it back with the measurements. I did not know to ask them about epoxy at the time. How many miles do you have on yours?

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Dang, I envy you guys that do this stuff yourself! I am headed to pick mine up now. $1k C4 rebuild. :-[

Love the color of that powder, btw!

74Stroker -- curious what you do with your beast that uses a 3500 stall?

Yeah I have a grand in parts in mine, but I would have 3 grand in it if I bought one built.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
mostly 100 yard sand drags and sand play. it is street legal also and FUN AS HELL on the street. So far I have stayed away from the local mud drags recently but that may change, I hate all the cleanup work associated with mud and also usually by the end of the drags the track is so deeply rutted the fast guys either forfeit/make a easy pass/ or go like hell and hope not to flip/roll it from catching a rut wrong, and I would hate to tear my rig up like that but you never know lol .

I was actually gonna guess mud bogs! Sounds like fun..Anything that needs 600+hp in an EB is worth doin!

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
How many miles do you have on yours?

built it last july in hopes of making the unevent in August but missed it anyways because of work. it has about 200 street miles on it and about 20 hours of sand play and about 50 100 yard sand passes so still pretty fresh but zero issues so far. my build was about 1600$ in hard parts so yeah 3000+$ range if I had a shop do the work.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I was actually gonna guess mud bogs! Sounds like fun..Anything that needs 600+hp in an EB is worth doin!

Yeah I am not quite there I am pushing about 400 at the rear wheels. Honestly I don't need that much power for what I do but the guy that I picked up the rolling chassie from had a guy not pay so the guy told him to keep the Ford Racing Crate and so he stuck it in the Bronco so that is why I ended up with. I am actually going to swap it for a diesel at some point in the future, but for now the game plan is to get it running and enjoy it.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
built it last july in hopes of making the unevent in August but missed it anyways because of work. it has about 200 street miles on it and about 20 hours of sand play and about 50 100 yard sand passes so still pretty fresh but zero issues so far. my build was about 1600$ in hard parts so yeah 3000+$ range if I had a shop do the work.

Yeah I think the exact total on mine was $1499 I pretty much am doing everything you can do to the C4 minus the wide ratio swap.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
so jays full roller setup? 7 clutch direct or 6? I used the 6 cuz that's what jay recommended for my build. the only thing not jays was my 6 pinion planetary which I sent to jay and had him do his roller mods to it, not just the for and aft rollers but each pinion shaft and gear on the thrust side like his extreme 3 pinion setup oh and the hardened output shaft. I already had a r servo and valve body so I saved a little there.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
so jays full roller setup? 7 clutch direct or 6? I used the 6 cuz that's what jay recommended for my build. the only thing not jays was my 6 pinion planetary which I sent to jay and had him do his roller mods to it, not just the for and aft rollers but each pinion shaft and gear on the thrust side like his extreme 3 pinion setup oh and the hardened output shaft. I already had a r servo and valve body so I saved a little there.

Pretty much the same thing, full roller, 6 clutch but I picked up his 3 pinion set up, long spline reverse set up and the Sonnex Servo. I had an H servo so I decided to upgrade. I also picked up a valve body, nothing fancy just an auto with better engagements. The kit I got came with a valve body kit as well so I am going to rebuild the one I have and sell it to recoup some money.

I think I am going to TIG some tabs onto the spacer that I have and roll with that. I figure with tabs and then epoxy the tab holes that will be stronger than a press fit.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
cool that setup will hold lots of power and abuse.
I think the tabs and epoxy will work well, just be sure the spacer stays true and flat from the welding process, maybe run a good flat file over it to take out any warp.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
cool that setup will hold lots of power and abuse.
I think the tabs and epoxy will work well, just be sure the spacer stays true and flat from the welding process, maybe run a good flat file over it to take out any warp.

Yeah I wussed out, when I went back out there that spacer looked a lot smaller than I remembered. I figured there was no way I was getting tabs on it without warping it. I ended up shipping it back, they are going to send me the correct size.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Found time to get the other T-Case that I am going to return to Roger coated. He PM'ed me and begged me to powder coat it hot pink, said he was going a "different" direction with the Bronco but I don't care how jealous it makes Bill, I just could not bring myself to do it!

In all seriousness I like the chrome black so I just shot that case the same. I have to do all the small parts like the shift rails and the output housings but I figure in the next day or two I will get both T-Cases back together.

Attachments

• T-case2-coated-back.jpg
    T-case2-coated-back.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 51
  • T-case2-coated-front.jpg
    T-case2-coated-front.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Well when it rains it pours, I received the new spacer in the mail today, well I received the package for the spacer in the mail today, with a nice hole torn in the bottom. I went to the post office and they pretty much said it was Jay's problem. I called up Jay and he is sending me a new one. To be clear this was in no way Jay's fault and totally the US mails screw up. It seems like I cant catch a break on this tranny rebuild.