• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bulletproof TRO and backspacing - drum knuckles

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Will a steel wheel with 3.75" of backspacing clear a Bulletproof TRO steering and Chevy disc conversion on older drum brake knuckles? I searched but couldn't get an answer... My new axle is temporarily in storage and I scored a good deal on some wheels.

TIA

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure about the Bulletproof system, but I'm running the stock steelies with 4" of backspacing and factory TRO with no probs, if you are going to use 16" wheels you should have no probs other than the tires rubbing the radius arms, unless you are going to run a narrow tire.

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Thanks, as far as I can tell its the 76/77 knuckles that present clearance problems.

I ran outta room at my shack, so it's out at my dad's garage until I can install it, and he test fit a 15x7 wheel with 3.25" backspacing on the passenger side for me an said "there was a couple of inches" of clearance - that just seemed like a lot. :eek: The PO did recall running 15's with 3.5" backspacing and no problems.

I am goin to run 35x12.50 ProComp Xterrains and 15x8 3.75" BS steel wheels, got em all like new but at 50% of new price. Wanted Toyo MT's and 17" Motometals but this setup is under a grand for 5 matching tires and wheels...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Yes, it will work with most wheels. I did grab one 15" wheel that was standard backspacing and still hit the caliper but the other 3 or 4 I've had on it didn't. Looking at the wheel itself the inner diameter was smaller than the others.

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Thanks, I will post some pics and measurements when I get them on. I've seen a few post where the Chevy calipers and knuckles require minor grinding.