• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bumper Build Pics

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pics of a bumper a friend is building for me. It's 1/8" steel with 3/16" gussetts. My original thought is that it's a little light duty, but I think as it's all welded together it will be sturdy. The mid section plates may get replaced with 3/16" since the winch will be mounted there. Also a receiver hitch is going in the center so there will be more reinforcing for it that will tie it all together. Overall, it's going to be light weight and practicle. I'm not a hardcore wheeler, but need something sturdy enough for a winch.

Attachments

• Build 3 Crop Small.jpg
    Build 3 Crop Small.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Build 2 Crop Small.jpg
    Build 2 Crop Small.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Build 1 Crop Small.jpg
    Build 1 Crop Small.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 112

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Looks good but with such a light weight design I would at least box the ends from the frame out. If this is still too heavy at least run a couple of 2 in wide straps across top to bottom every 4 inches or so. otherwise if the bumper ends get any contact the width if the bumper will flair and the bumper will fold back. Strapping or boxing the ends will probably add over twice the force required before the bumper folds.

RolledItAgain

What is it's current weight?
I agree with your thought to improve the strength in the area the winch will mount.
Looks good, keep us posted

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I posted a couple of lines on this bumper over on BFix. I really think you guys should scrap the top/front and use a single piece of 2X4 or 2X6 (triimmed if you want to provide your base for the top and front. Wiht your current desing, even welded and capped there will be flex at the least and possibly buckling or crushing upon impact if your ever in an accident on or off road. Like I said on Bfix; the stock bumpers are die-formed 1/8 plate for maximal strength. Anyone who has wheeled with, pulled from, had an accident with will attest that they will still bend, distort and would not be suitable to mount a winch. If you start with the rectangular tubing, you at the very least have a super strong platform to build your plate appearing bumper from that will give you strength for tow-hooks, a winch or whatever. Again, I am not trying to poop on your design, just trying to help you build something that will last and be functional. Style without function is for Jeeps. Good Luck and keep us posted on what you decie to do and how it turns out.

John

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's only about 30 lbs now. I guess it'll get up to 80-85 lbs after the other re-inforcing and receiver.