• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bumps cause lane changes

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Your geometry is wrong... Looks like you have the "drop down" power steering box arm for a suspension lift. For stock height (no lift) that arm should be almost flat. As mentioned before, your drag link and track bar need to be parallel. Yours are not...

/\/\ That.
The drag link (blue arrow) should be parallel with the track bar (yellow arrow).

Attachments

• steering-wrong.jpg
    steering-wrong.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Will a longer drag link be necessary after installing stock pitman arm or will same drag link work?

PaveBronco

Wow...didn't see that one coming...not so stock steering apparently.
PO in action.
Pictures save the day.

"Shameless Plug"....This is why everyone should become a contributor

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Will a longer drag link be necessary after installing stock pitman arm or will same drag link work?

It should work... However, at worst case your steering wheel might not be centered. Hard to see what is there. OEM is a "non adjustable link", since yours was probably lifted at one time, the link might be upgraded to an adjustable, or they could have used the stock with the steering wheel being off a bit. In that case, with the correct pitman arm, your steering will be centered again.

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Thanks everyone. Will order stock pitman and let you know results.

elan

Loc.
s
Make sure you give them the right year for the pitman arm.
And, bump steer can occur whether raising or lowering too much

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

One more question. Will same pitman arm work on manual or power steering? I have a 302 with power steering.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One more question. Will same pitman arm work on manual or power steering? I have a 302 with power steering.

It should, although the power steering pitman arms have a little more 'meat' around the area that attaches to the sector shaft of the power steering box.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Stock pitman

Stock pitman seems to have fixed bump steer. Need to put a few more miles on it to be sure. Will send pics when I figure out how.
Next problem: front end clunks when making very slow turns.. Otherwise it drives fine.
Drifting is much better also..expect new tires to help with that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What type of clunks? And does it do it only when you're turning very sharp? Or just about any time you're turning at slow speeds?

Paul

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Clunking

Most of the time when I make a fairly sharp low speed turn.

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Pitman swap

New geometry with stock pitman.

Attachments

• 1221191523.jpg
    1221191523.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 1221191514.jpg
    1221191514.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 1221191510_HDR.jpg
    1221191510_HDR.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 43

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Stock pitman seems to have fixed bump steer. Need to put a few more miles on it to be sure. Will send pics when I figure out how.
Next problem: front end clunks when making very slow turns.. Otherwise it drives fine.
Drifting is much better also..expect new tires to help with that.

Hmmm.. no locker in front? Didn't read back sorry 🤔

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Reason I asked it if was on sharp turns only, is that two "common" things can make growling, bumping noises when doing tight turns.
The larger than stock front tires will rub the radius arms is the most likely, but do not usually make a popping sound in a high-pitch unless they are very aggressive mud tires. Yours don't look like that, but they may still be rubbing.
The other is that the rear differential may be a limited-slip type and is grumbling from not having the proper lubrication.

Of course, other things that can make noises up front are:
1. steel wheels flexing, or worse that have cracks.
2. Loose or failing wheel bearings.
3. Brake pads loose in the calipers (rare to have drum brakes make noise, but a loose spring or something could make that noise I suppose).
4. Locking mechanism in one or both of the hubs half-engaged, or broken.
5. Axleshaft u-joints if the hubs are locked, or half-locked.
6. Driveshaft u-joints at either end.
7. Other stuff...;D

Paul