• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bung Hole!?

sirius23

Loc.
Cumming, Ga
Where is a good source (and what are they actually called) for generic rubber plugs designed to fit the various size holes one might encounter through one's firewall? Clumps of aluminum foil just ain't cutting it anymore!?! Trying to cut down on emission / engine odors when the full soft top is on.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
bungs add threads, grommets go in holes.........TP is fer whipping and dude if your using tin foil........ you are a man!

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I'm curious if you get some to cover the necessary holes. I have several in mine that need to be covered and after trying unsuccessfully to buy rubber ones that fit I am thinking I may just make some covers using flat sheet metal that can be screwed in place...

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Go by a body shop and ask if they have a box of random body plugs that you could dig through. If that doesn't work any automotive paint supply store they should have some.

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
Agree, recently bought numerous grommets and plugs at ACE hardware. Usually in yellow boxes, I believe from Hillman?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I ended up cutting small circles of aluminum and epoxying them in place. I sprayed them black on the side facing out. I could make them any size I needed after years of people doing stuff there was some random holes I wanted to fill! If I ever do a body off maybe I will fill them properly and weld them up.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Most the early Mustang parts suppliers have OE style plugs and wire grommets that look like they belong in an EB.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Go by a body shop and ask if they have a box of random body plugs that you could dig through. If that doesn't work any automotive paint supply store they should have some.

Or just go to a wrecking yard. Lots of nice rubber plugs in most vehicles. Find one that has the interior out and pull them from the floor and firewall.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Or just go to a wrecking yard. Lots of nice rubber plugs in most vehicles. Find one that has the interior out and pull them from the floor and firewall.

This is very true. The yards where I live typically don't let you wander around and are priced within a few dollars of new parts so I generally don't consider them an option locally.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Any reason to keep the holes?

Or would MIG/TIG welding some sheet metal to permanently close them be an option?