• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Burping a radiator

jr

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
What is the correct way to burp (eliminate all air) from my cooling system? I don't have any heater lines so would loosening hose clamp at thermostat housing be enough? Does radiator cap need to be on or off?

Joel

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
No one else appears to be answering this, so I will just tell you what I do. First drill a tiny hole in the flat part of the thermostat as that will help in the long run. Second, button up everthing except the radiator cap and fill it until no more fluid will go in. In a couple of minutes some of the air will come out by itself. After that, grab the upper radiator hose and squeeze it to purge the air in the upper system. Refill to the limit again and repeat. Eventually no more air will come out. This gets most of the air, and by squeezing the radiator hose you will have purged much of it from the upper part of the system.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
What do you have in place of them? The goal is to open up the highest point possible to allow air to escape from the engine block while it is being filled. I'm not sure what the point of drilling an extra hole in the thermostat is since air will still get trapped in the engine if it isn't opened up. If your using a bypass hose for the heater connections then just open up that. You can also pull the top radiator hose from the block as well however fill it slowly if you do so you don't dump coolant out the hose. You could also pull the temperature sending unit out as well and that would do the trick.

Kansas Corey

Loc.
NorCal (East Bay)
Drilling a hole in the thermostat has more to do with how the engine warms up than with air I thought. My experience was with a mid-engine sports car. The radiator was up front, but the engine was in the back. Without a small hole drilled in the thermostat, when the thermostat finally did open up, the engine was slammed by icy cold coolant mixing instantly with extremely hot coolant => lead to some people having head gasket failures. Common fix was to drill a small hole or two which in theory would ease the transition.