• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bushing sleeve stuck in leaf spring shackle

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I was changing out my leaf springs for a new set up, I removed the shackle hanger and used a torch to remove the old bushing. After I removed it, I realized the old bushing had a metal sleeve over it, preventing the new bushing from entering the slot. How do you remove the metal sleeve from the interior of the shackle? I tried to hit it out with a hammer, no luck. It seems to have fused to the shackle. Do I need to just purchase new shackles? I really need to get the truck on the road ASAP, as it is my daily driver. Thank you!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is fused to the shackle by the years of rust.
You can buy new ones, but that's not always needed. Great for a shop doing the work to save some labor cost, but for a DIY'er the most common method is to take a hacksaw blade and make several cuts/slots around the sleeve to break it up a bit. Then take a good old hammer and chisel (screwdriver?) to it and have at it.

It'll usually come out 99% of the time.
And they're usually rusted in solid about that same percentage of the time. I still think the bushing companies need to make a version that's a few thousandths smaller in diameter to fit with the sleeve intact. Probably be a stronger setup, and darn sure would be less hassle to install.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Paul, thank you! Can't wait to try this tomorrow morning. Was so frustrated when it couldn't budge. You always have such great insight. Btw off topic, not sure if you remember we chatted back and forth about insulation I purchased from WH. Well I thought it didn't get quieter. Just turns out the same day I put it in, my headers pushed out 2 bolts. Didn't get quieter because of my crazy loud exhaust leak. Truck is super quiet now!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great to hear on the quiet! Makes a big difference in the family's happiness factor for sure.
And a sealed exhaust is a good thing too!

Because that metal is actually fairly tough sometimes, if you can't quite grip the hacksaw blade and get some traction by hand, I usually dismount it, then re-attach it to the hacksaw handle once it's through the bore of the shackle.
That way you have full sawing capability and just have to grip the shackle tight or put it in the vise if you have one.

Good luck!

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The best way I have found it to use an air hammer. First use the pointed tip and wedge between the bushing shell and the outer spring or tube mount. Drive the point in towards the bushing shell and it starts to collapse the bushing shell. Now change the bit in the air hammer to the panel riper blade and hook the dull end into the distorted part of the bushing shell. The hooked end will grab the shell and drive it right out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-Short-Air-Chisel-Set-4-Pc-68277.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/hammers/medium-barrel-air-impact-hammer-69866.html