• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying my first bronco!!

socalkidd46

Loc.
Los Angeles
>I have always been in love with broncos and wanted one before i got my license! I have been searching for my perfect bronco since then too. I have narrowed it down to 2 finalists but need help choosing-

>Both are on ebay:

My first choice because i love the color!
http://images3.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall.pl?dir=1675_56403

Second choice but is very very clean!

http://images4.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall.pl?dir=1080_420034

>I have also considered getting a carchex inspectors for both, wondering if this is always a good idea or a waste of money?

>If anyone could help me decide/give me advice i would really appreciate it!

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
decide

it looks as if you chose two very nice looking broncos. two that will cost alot more than i would be able to spend on my first. i would bet that both will go for 20k, or at least thats what the asking price might be. shop around your area craigslist. go see some in person, sit in them, drive them, smell them. you can always have it painted the color you want. i feel color should be the last thing to consider when making a choice.
good luck...keep us posted...we will be waiting to see what you decide.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
really tough call

too much black for me

I like the blue paint better but that interior is a little weird (crazy door speakers) for me and the tires seem undersized compared to the flares

both LOOK like nice rides

I don't know the first thing about carchex but somebody that specializes in EB would be desired, maybe somebody on here is close enough to do it for you

lord knows we love to look at em

good luck with your purchasing decision

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. I took a look at both of the ads and they both look like nice Broncos. What do you plan on using it for?

I've seen that flat black Bronco on eBay for the past few weeks, while very nice I find it hard to believe that they put in over $50,000 into it. Looks like a very nice rig, but even for $15,000 (current bid) it seems overpriced to me. Also looks like they smoothed over the bedsides so putting on a hardtop or softop will require some work. Also, not much was said about the engine or drivetrain so I'd be weary about that. A $50,000 resto should result in a brand new truck in my opinion. This looks like a great truck, don't get me wrong, but without more information it would appear to be more like a $12,000 rig in this economy. Geez, you'd think if they claim to have spent $50,000 that they'd show the receipts to back it up. Id pass here.

Onto the second one...

Again, a very nice "looking" bronco but the description leaves a lot to be desired. It seems like a nice rig but I'd like to see more info on the history, etc.

Honestly the first one looks like it was built to sell, the second one looks like someone "owned" it and enjoyed it.

Carchex is probably useless with an older vehicle like this. Your best bet is a plane ticket. Talk to the seller, agree on a price contingent upon inspection, fly in and do the inspection yourself (or take it somewhere to be inspected), then make your decision. Photos can hide a lot and there's nothing better than crawling under the Bronco and really seeing how well it was built.

Hope that helps.

Tom

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the site.

I will have to agree with Tom's opinion..!

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Also agree with Tom, but also think you should hang out here awhile and shop around, there are some really good buys out there in the 10-18k range that are nicer than either of the two Broncos pictured.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
The speakers on the tunnel on the first one are going to get destroyed by heat. And your going to have issues with that side-step if you are actually going to be taking it off-road.

The second one would be my preference, but then I don't really care for those fender flares.

If it's your first one I'd get something a little cheaper, and figure out what you like and don't like about it. Sell it, get your money back, then find one that has everything you want. Unless of course you want to do the work yourself.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
don't buy either, buy a beater bronco.

if you are anything like i was when i got my license, i beat the crap out of any vehicle i drove, and subsequently crashed and broke them all.

so my advice is to buy a $5K bronco that is capable and save the nice stuff for later... i am 29 now and still not ready for "nice things" ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
IMO, if you can afford to buy either of them outright, then, as Tom suggested, buy a plane ticket and fly out to take a look at them in person. In the "grand"-scheme of things...spending a grand on a a couple of plane tickets to research a truck that you will have to spend $20-25K to take home would definitely be a smart investment. Plus, driving it back "home" from its original destination would be a great "bonding" experience. I think both of the trucks look great. But that doesnt say much about how they perform. There is no info on any of the mechanicals, internals or other details about the two trucks. Its not all about the looks with these trucks. The real test about compatability is the bond that does develop between the man and the metal.

Seriously, theres a connection that develops between us and our Broncos...85% of the guys here know of what I speak...so definitely go and check out these trucks in person, make sure they are what you really want. Drive them, inspect them--very carfeully inside and out. Look under the carpet, take them to an independant auto-repair clinic and pay for a full inspection. Much more important than how they look (although thats pretty high up there) is how they have been maintained, thus how they perform and ride. There is a huge difference in a stock suspension and most of the aftermarket suspensions in how these trucks ride. IF you are willing to pay top-dollar, make sure you know what you are getting under the hood, in the drivetrain and protecting your a$$. These trucks, while typically simple, can have fierce tempers. IF you are not 'into cars' now or are not willing to learn some amount of mechanics and auto-electrical, you will at some point, if you drive it, will be left dissappointed, stranded or hoofing it or calling AAA. Make sure that you have a reasonable idea what you are getting into....I know they look great...AND THEY ARE...but they are not a NEW car and despite being "restored", you should have some clue about old iron before you make the jump.

Not trying to deter, just educate. If I remember right, the blue one had a reserve in the 25K range last time it was on ebay. The black one was on here for sale or at least the owner posted some photos a few months back...want to say that one was in GA or something. Anyway, either of these trucks are cooler and better (even perfromance-wise) than a new Jeep Rubicon. They are definitely more durable, but will also require much more TLC and maintenance...so keep that in mind...you cant just replace a Bronco.

Sorry to be preachy, but I am guessing that you are likely quite young and that you have lots of financial resources...just remember to 'respect the Bronco' ... it bucks hard.

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
I'm liking the second choice. The black one is nice but I agree with everyone else that there is no way that he put over $50,000 in it.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Knowing who the owner is he may have put $50,000 in it but none of us would have

OP
OP
S

socalkidd46

Loc.
Los Angeles
OK thank you for all your help i really really appreciate it!!

Looks like im going to take a couple trips within the next 2 weeks!!!