• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 auto Transmission repair now new troubles

RaiderBronco

I took my 70' Bronco in for a leak that I noticed coming from the shifter. After doing some research I found out it sounded like it was just the shifter seals. The mechanic confirmed and I went ahead with the repair. When I picked it up and drove away I immediately knew something was wrong. When I put the Bronco in "D" and gave it some gas the RPM's went way up but the car really didn't accelerate much. It seems like it just would stay in gear. What could the mechanic have done or forgot to do? I called immediately and he came over to my house as his shop was closed and said that it may need 1 more Qt of tranny fluid. I added it and no change.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
With the truck off can you confirm each position of the shifter? Go P-R-N. When in N see if you can push the truck back and forth confirming neutral? That will confirm if they assembled the shifter back correctly. If not then you need to take it back. When I did this I did get the shifter in the spool valve correctly caused it to not have P wihich was pretty exciting. But when it appeared to be in drive it was really in neutral.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I would guess low fluid, and the easiest to correct providing the existing fluid didn't overheat.

Did he change the filter as well? There's a limit spring/valve that is underneath the filter on the later C4s. It simply falls out when removing the filter. It's easily lost or installed incorrectly (upside down or without the valve piece).