• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 band adj - How to do???

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
My C4 had a 2-3 flare, meaning it would rev a little before 3rd gear engaged. I discovered that when I had it rebuilt, the shop put an A servo in it. So I replaced the servo with an H, which I hear is the right one for the Bronco.

The instructions with the new servo said to adjust the bands. What tool do you use to do this? There are 3/8" square bolts that need to be torqued, then backed off, but I don't have anything to attach to my torque wrench to do this.

Thank you for the help!!!

OP
OP
joser

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I completely spaced trying a 12 point socket. Also - I found conflicting info on how many turns to back off after snugging down to 10ft lbs.

I will try 1.5 turns and see how she runs.

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
joser

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
HOLY CRAP!

I must have done something wrong. I tried to adjust the intermediate band and the adjustment screw doesn't torque down, it keeps going until it is flush with the trans case. I tried holding the locking nut while trying to torque the adjustment screw, but still the adj screw keeps turning.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you were able to adjust it to flush with the case, then it is not engaging the band it is suppose to be adjusting or something broke. You will have to pull the valve body and take a look at what is going on inside.

If a band adjustment screw is over tightened it can crack the case. Ask me how I know.

broncojack

Contributor
Sounds like the low reverse strut fell out of the servo fork.
If that is the case the valve body has to be removed to get to the strut.
The strut is a square piece of steel that puts pressure on the bands.