• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 bell housing

jmeyer1971

I am currently in the middle of swapping out my 3 on the tree and replacing it with a c4. I have the c4 but no bell housing. Are there any differences in bell housing or anything in particular in need to look for. Any help is appreciated. more info maybe needed but I don't know enough to include it

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There are differances at least 4-5 that I can think of of the top of my head. Basically tho there is a small bellhousing and a large bellhousing for small blocks then you also have case fill and pan fill versions they dont interchange. If its a bronco C4 then it should be a pan fill and should have the large bellhousing. which also requires the 164 tooth flex plate. You can use a small bellhousing if you use the 157 tooth flexplate.
Speaking of flexplates some of the 164 tooth broncos had a odd ball bolt pattern that can be hard to get the right converter for so you may want to check into that and get a new flexplate that has the common bolt pattern.
Might be some ofther info but thats the basics. Just have to know if you have a pan fill or case fill transmission and go from there. small or large bellhousings can be used the choice is yours.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Nope there are small bellhousing pan fills. Not quite as common as the big bells but they are out there. Ive run across several when i was looking for a bellhousing seems like when you need a big one all you find is small ones.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've never seen a pan-fill bell that wasn't 164 tooth. Engineering numbers to look for are C5AP-7976-B, D2AP-7976-AA, D3BP-7976-AA, D6AP-7976-AA, D6TP-7976-AA, and D9AP-7976-BA. These are all pan-fill 164. Make sure you use a 164 tooth type blockplate also.

OP
OP
J

jmeyer1971

I have case fill d9bp and no bell housing came with the tramission that is where my confusion is coming from