• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 correct fluid level?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Just got a '74 C4 rebuilt, had to use the dipstick from the '77 C4 that was in the truck. The old one had shifting (governor) problems and puked fluid when run up to 5k. The new trans is puking fluid when run up to 5k also, so I must be over filling. How do i determine where the fluid level should really be as I am thinking I am over filling by the dip stick. Pretty sure the dipstick assem is from another Bronco trans I had along time ago. It doesn't have the bell housing tab but is marked Ford.

When hot and in N, I have it just touching the second hole, bottom of the do not add line.

Trans was rebuilt by a reputable shop, he added a shift kit, but didn't drill the vavle body?, and used a TCI Saturday Night Special convertor. It's mated to a 385hp 351 FRPP crate engine.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
hey Jeff,
The C4 likes to puke fluid anyway. Did you tap the vent line and either run a line up high or is it the stock hole with a cap setup? The adapter is where the vent line is and the sligning output shaft with governor will sling fluid out of the stock vent hole. I even had a line up the firewall and it seemed to get fluid out of it.

You don't need to redrill the valvebody separator plate in all cases. Depends on the shift kit. Might be a "remove all but two check balls" shift kit.

OP
OP
iwlbcnu

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
this is the streeter so I didn't tap the vent, my 77 stocker never pukes with the 5.0 in it. I had a tube on the other trans up to the firewall and it still puked.
On the shift kit, I told him I didn't want it snapping axles on 2nd shift, so that's why he didn't drill. He says the way it is, I need to put some pressure on the downshift lever. I need to see if i can get a kick down hooked up.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I think I still have an old lever from a parts truck you can have. Also the PTO handle...DIDN'T FORGET!

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I wound up breaking my forward clutch on the one I just put together. I am not sure why but Bwoncohowie got a call in the middle of the night on that one. Everything else works fine on the trans :p. i am pretty sure it is because I don't have that mechanism that allows most people to use moderation while driving.

Annapoliseb and I just put a complete stock C4 together last night and it is going in the silver bronco tonight. It is dad's now and he doesn't need that kind of shifting.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Overfilling is not the only thing that will make it puke. What's the C4 temp when it's puking? With that much HP and the higher stall speed it's going to hotter than your stocker. Lack of a kickdown makes it even worse. You should be running a huge cooler with that setup.

OP
OP
iwlbcnu

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I just ordered a lokar kit for it. I had a few of the kick downs, but no way to hook them to the HP4150 on the engine. The stall is only 2k (shop said I needed it with the cam) and I'm just running down the road. It pukes when I take off and run it up to 5k and shift manually, and not doing it over and over, I may be wrong, but wouldn't think that I should be building that much heat. I'm not in town, crawling, loading the stall, or anything like that.
My stocker with the 5.0, I can run up to 5500, chirp 2nd and no problems at all, that trans has 95k on it.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I have the locar dipstick and had the same problem,on the freeway at 70+ it would puke out oil. I zip tied the dipstick to the outside of the tube and it was about 3 inches off, I was told the fluid needs to be at the top lip of the pan(at idle in nutrel) so Ive drained it down and recalabrated my dipstick but havent took it on a test drive yet.

OP
OP
iwlbcnu

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I pulled my 77 and 76, they both have D5 ('75) part numbers, both 74's have D3 ('73) part numbers. The D5 are about 3" longer than the D3. Anyway, the one in this trans looks like the very tip is even with the pan gasket, so I'm gonna go off it for now and see. After draining, I am at approx 10 1/2 qts in the trans now.