• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Deep Pan

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
My C4 Trans has always leaked even after replacing the gasket. I was thinking my next step is to replace the pan. It was suggested by a friend to use a mustang deep pan. Is there any better suggestions ? I know WH sells a Art Carr pan but I would like some more input.

Thanks,

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have ran a C4 for about 700 miles now. I rebuilt it myself with the B&M kit and used the B&M deep pan. At this time I do not have any leaks. I had a leak at the dip stick, I had to modify the DS hole on the pan for a Lokar DS. I ended up using JB weld and it worked. Now if you are leaking from the pan gasket, if it were me I would us good gasket maker and the gasket to seal it up. If that doesn't work you may need to mill the bottom of your transmission to level the surface the pan seals against. I don't know any reason why that surface would warp.

The only real truth I know is that my transmission is not leaking.

If I'm way off and there is a much better way I sure would like to know it.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
BroncoDon said:
My C4 Trans has always leaked even after replacing the gasket. I was thinking my next step is to replace the pan. It was suggested by a friend to use a mustang deep pan. Is there any better suggestions ? I know WH sells a Art Carr pan but I would like some more input.

Thanks,
I've been chasing a leak in my C-4 for 2 years now and finally found it.... Dipstick tube. Check this first before you go spending money on a deep pan, which by the way requires a different filter with a lower pickup.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
The B&M pan comes with its own filter and extension. But it is a B&M specific filter.

You could still use any variety of the stock C4 filter with the B&M deep pan but they wouldn't pickup at the bottom of the pan.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
I can see it leaking out of the seal, which by the way was just replaced after the tranny was rebuilt 500 miles ago. At the time of the rebuild the pan was severely banged up and dented so we tried to make it correct but obviously that didn't work out. It is a "Step Pan" and I haven't found any of them on any of the vendors sites.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I too had a leaky C4. It was due to the flange on the stock pan being slightly distorted. Rather than trying to straighten it, I installed the B&M pan. Now I have no leaks and a little extras capacity in the pan.

67ster

Bronco Guru
The stock factory pan is usually ruined from overtightening the bolts . The guy we used to have build our C-6s , was an ex B&M tech. and he swore by using the heavy ribbed cast aluminum deep pan. He said the aluminum pan was stiffer and acted as a "girdle" plus the extra oil capacity helped because the biggest enemy of any AT is heat.