• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Govener...clean up? Band adjustment?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I had 4 different racers/mechanics/Bronco owners yerterday tell me my govener is stuck. Has upshift issues Ive done about everything I can do with modulator, flushies, and what nots from the outside....cant find much info on removing and cleaning Gov....sure wish Id known about this last week when I had the Xfer off for a fix...I know how to get to it...just dont know what to do when I get there....this is my last stab before pulling xmission and taking to the shop.

Off seaching posts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Found a old post by BH~ descibes my symptoms exactly he advised adjust front band.....HOW YA DO THAT? that thread ended so dont know the outcome...but Ill try anything! He said adjust front band to 1 and 1/2 turns.

Any help here?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Found a old post by BH~ descibes my symptoms exactly he advised adjust front band.....HOW YA DO THAT? that thread ended so dont know the outcome...but Ill try anything! He said adjust front band to 1 and 1/2 turns.

Any help here?

Loosen nut. Turn in adjuster until it seats (band gets tight around drum). Back off adjuster 1 1/2 turns. Tighten nut. The nuts are special sealed nuts but you can probably use them a couple times before they leak.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
My #1 pit crew!.....read in ford muscle to torque to 10-12 inch pounds and back off 1 1/2....oK will do! Where is it?

Buy the way the particle issue is clearing up...both pan drains since 1st have gotten better 3rd one had to search bottom of pan...found very small amount, what I would call minimal/break in....one good thing anyhow!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Pass side front stud/nut. Low-reverse band is on rear pass side. Same procedure for adjustment except back off screw 3 turns.

Yeah forgot about the 10 ft lbs. It is ft lbs.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
10-4 but aint messing with the back has great reverse!....trust me they said run it in reverse spin it in reverse and well tore hell out my front yard...didnt free the govoner if its stuck...but dont think could hurt anything..might as well do em both....

These the things that look like studs stickin out the sides?

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
On it! soon as I get home........

The Ford specs for the C4 band adjustment is:
loosen the locknut and tighten the screw to 10 foot pounds (both bands)
Front band (intermediate): back out 1 1/2 turns and lock the nut down while holding the screw.
Rear band (low/reverse): back the screw out 3 turns and lock the nut while holding the screw.

The bands should be adjusted every 24000 miles or two years

Pulled from Ford Muscle.....may help someone in the future.

If this helps I assume will have to go back and adjust the modulator? so far all adjustments there no change in results.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Well adjusted bands, pulled xfer, cleaned governor, put it all back, 100% ZERO change......second slips to 2000 rpm shift from 2nd to D only after 4500RPM...

Pulling it tommorrow its going in for a rebuild(not so sure that got done) or gonna order a fresh one ready to go......Anybody got a favorite aftermarket co in mind? TCI, Hughes(does build a truck version), BTE was sounding good but I know of one that only made 1/2 a trip on a 300 ft track $1800 blown to hell......This is the last time im pulling it, what goes back in better work!

bconn587

Loc.
Ripley, MS
Have you looked at your throttle kick down lever. I was having trouble with mine not shifting above 4000 rpms. The problem turned out to be my throttle kick down wasn't hooked up properly. While adjusting it manually, I found that it will now hold to 5500 rpms but it wants to downshift to second from third with almost any throttle.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Has been replaced with a cable, connected disconnected same results

where is Ripley by the way...Not a MS native dont know