• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Low/Reverse Servo help needed

72_EB

66to77
I just put my C4 back in my Bronco after having it resealed.
It is leaking out the low reverse servo. It drops fluid when I put it in reverse and also makes a loud clunk it never did.

Now replacing the gasket on the servo is obvious, but what else?
Adjust the band to get rid of the clunk?

My book says 3 turns out and tighten, someone else told me 1 out and tighten. They said,"Is it clunking when you put it in reverse? If it is tighten the reverse band after you fix the cover.
Loosen the band lock nut tighten the 5/16 reverse band adjuster snug with a short wrench back off one turn then tighten the band lock nut. A clunk when you put the transmission into reverse is the direct clutchs applying before the band applies. This lets the drums spin then when the band applies it stops everything and clunks. If the band applies before the the clutchs you won't get a clunk."
Any other suggestions? I'd like to fix this and wire up my exhaust this week.

For some more history on this check out what I found last Friday. I haven't touched the trans since then.
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50753

U

Unregistered

low reverse band adjustment- 10ftlb then back off adjusting screw exactly 3 full turns , - if your going to replace seal on the reverse servo cover first loosen the locknut then tighten adjusting screw to 10 ftlb ( tightening the screw will insure that the band strut will be held against the case by the band,preventing it from falling down when the reverse servo piston assembly is removed) -it may start coming out when you unbolt the cover - install cover by using two 5/16-18 bolts,1-1/4 inch long, at 180 degrees apart , start tightening till you can get the other bolts in