• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Rebuild Cost

Tony Mele

Anyone with a general idea what a rebuild would cost for my C4?

I'd probably drop and reinstall the tranny myself. But I've come across a C4 for sale locally that was fully rebuilt last year. $900. Seems steep to me, but what do I know?

I figure with the cost of the kit, along with labor...not sure where that would put me.

And right now I'm not set up to do the rebuild myself

T

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
$400 - $600 if you drop it off. That is parts and labor , ballpark range, may or may not include a rebuilt converter which they will require you have.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
$700 for me recently. I dropped it off and picked it up and that did not include the torque converter.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
$806.00 after tax from a highly respected, local, transmission builder but this included a rebuilt pump.

CA_bronco

Contributor
Mine was $650 dropped off and picked up locally...included new torque converter

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Last month, had it rebuilt to withstand the 408 I plan to install. It was 1100.00, :eek: but that included a new valve body, a bent fork that had to be replaced and top notch parts. Retired tranny expert with 45 years experience, CA is expensive, but I did not want to worry about it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
400 bucks, son in law pulled it and his buddy rebuilt it;D I did have to get the tc rebuilt for another 130.00

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yours is a 1973 so if parts were not replaced before this rebuild you will not only need a converter but you will also need a flywheel too. 73/74 had an oddball converter and flywheel combination which are no longer available so you will need a newer set that is available. That changes the bolt pattern diameter mounting the converter to the flywheel.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bronco Johns on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando Florida.

$675.00
I removed and replaced the tranny.
Not including torque converter.
Heavy duty rebuild with some C5 stuff.
Nice shift kit nothing radical.

That was with me dropping it off and being patient.
I gave them plenty of time and it seems to have paid off,...
its doing well.
I should mention that they said my tranny was actually in really good condition for its age. It was rebuilt in '82. I just wanted it gone through and had the rebuild kit, so why not, right. They said it was a very good kit. I can't remember the name Alto?...anyway...I had bought the kit years before.

If I had to do it over again I may have taken a shot at rebuilding the C4 myself. So much support here I feel like I can do anything now, haha....

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
New valve body and new converter was 1K for me from one if not the best.