• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 rebuild questions

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
I’m rebuilding a 1966 C4 green dot off 289 engine. I prefer to avoid green dot VB if possible, but this is a learning experience. This is my first C4 rebuild, and differ thoughts on valve body replacement. I’m aware of the unique pre 66 trans, the 67-69 models and post 70s trans.

1. Will a 67-69 valve body work in 66 case ?
2. Will a C6 valve body work in 66 case ?
3. Is there a vendor part that will avoid 66 green dot valve body ?
4. Any rebuild kit recommendations ? I prefer as complete kit as possible since this a learning project.

Thanks.

ol gray mare

I'd recommend the "Bad Shoe Productions" C4 video. It goes step-by-step as demonstrated by a Ford mechanic. I just put the video in the DVD player and completed each step as he indicated and hit pause until I completed each step. He recommends certain parts that are better than others. He also gives a lot of helpful hints, like make sure the valve body is VERY clean and every thing slides easily. If you don't it won't shift properly. It worked great for me. good luck.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks Ol Grey Mare. I’ve got that series and it is very helpful. And I should have watched it first and not started on ‘66 C4. 😂