• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 to AOD questions.

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
I have an original c4 for my bronco that needs a rebuild top to bottom with a new torque converter. Would I be able to pull the tail housing adaptor off the c4 and put it on the c4 to get to the Dana 20 or would I need to buy a new ada-Thor to get to it? The new rebuilt AOD I am considering is a 4x4 AOD from monster transmission if that helps. If I go this route, would my original driveshafts work?

I appreciate any advice or info you could throw in my direction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Nothing on the C4 will be compatible with the AOD, so the 4x4 AOD will need the Dana 20 adapter. Also the AOD is longer, so the front driveshaft will need to be lengthened and the rear will need to be shortened. The AOD has the same gear ratio as the C4, 1-3. The OD is on the tall side at .67:1. Consider the expense of this and weigh it against using a 4R70w. It has a much better gear ratio selection for use in a Bronco, along with the OD being a bit lower than the AOD. Either choice will cost some money, so it's worth researching. I still run a C4, but if I absolutely had to have an OD, I'd go with the 4R70w. It's 10 years of tech newer, but I really like the lower first gear in those.

Mark

OP
OP
Mattco

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Nothing on the C4 will be compatible with the AOD, so the 4x4 AOD will need the Dana 20 adapter. Also the AOD is longer, so the front driveshaft will need to be lengthened and the rear will need to be shortened. The AOD has the same gear ratio as the C4, 1-3. The OD is on the tall side at .67:1. Consider the expense of this and weigh it against using a 4R70w. It has a much better gear ratio selection for use in a Bronco, along with the OD being a bit lower than the AOD. Either choice will cost some money, so it's worth researching. I still run a C4, but if I absolutely had to have an OD, I'd go with the 4R70w. It's 10 years of tech newer, but I really like the lower first gear in those.

Mark

That was what I needed to know. For some reason I was thinking that the aod was a c4 with an overdrive and same body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well the flexplate might work off the C4 on an AOD, if you have the large bolt circle torque convertor version of the C4.

But as mentioned, completely different. You might be thinking of the E4OD which is a C6 with an overdrive put in front of it. As well as going fully electronic and many other changes. But the basic design of the C4 and the AOD are completely different. The C4 uses a Simpson planetary set while the AOD uses a Ravinuex planetary design. And with very few exceptions a Bronco will need new axle gearing to be able to use the overdrive at anything besides going down a hill.