• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4, Twin stick, T-case, Floor shifter install.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
I bought a C4 and T-case from a 1977 Bronco. They are sitting together on my garage floor with the cross member. The T-case has twin stick shifters. I assume the twin sticks go through the same hole as the T-shifter did. I am going with the Winters floor shifter for the C4. There wasn't much instructions on where to place the floor shifter. The brackets for the C4 are made for a two wheel drive car. The cable does not have room between the the twin handles and the T-case. I will have to make a bracket to the out side of the levers. I thought about making something fastened to the crossmember but if the engine rocks back and forth the shifting link may cause problems. I will have to build somthing of the C4. I was wondering if others may have done this. Does the Shifter mount on a console? I don't have the seats installed and maybe do not have the seats. The 67 seats are not good. Does anyone have pictures of the shifter installed?

Attachments

• 20210514_081417.jpg
    20210514_081417.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20210514_081543.jpg
    20210514_081543.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
Well this is not a plug and play like everything I seem to be doing with my rebuild. I welded a 2 inch piece of 1x2 angle on to the supplied bracket.

Attachments

• 20210514_124647.jpg
    20210514_124647.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210514_124725.jpg
    20210514_124725.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 85

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Now is the time to know while I am repairing the Bronco floor. Please tell me more.

Your twin sticks are set up currently to move both axles into High, N, or Low concurrently, not separately. You would need to have a kit to make changes in your Dana 20, then separate the T linkage on the Dana 20, then weld each stick to a separate linkage, BUT, you may still need to buy a twin stick kit, as your sticks look like they currently work continuously, but maybe not separately. Check out JB Custom Fabrication online, he supplies WH with their kits, his instructions were great.
The connection between the end of your twin stick goes into the Dana 20 linkage, an oval hole for both sticks. That oval has to be cut in half for the sticks to operate independently, plus you may need to make changes inside the Dana 20 to allow the front and rear gears to operate independently, as there are shafts inside with ball bearings that keep you from having independent axles in the transfer case. Making them independent can be helpful, especially if you break a rear drive shaft or rear U joint, and need to limp home on the front axle only with the rear in neutral.
There are a lot of assumptions here. 1., you actually want twin sticks that are purpose built for put axles in different modes from each other or split, and 2., The Dana 20 is original to this bronco but a previous owner put twin sticks on it but didn’t complete the process, 3. The twin sticks are fully operational now and the pictures just didn’t show it.
We need a bit more info, like what is really going on in that Dana 20, has it been modified, and do you want to do it. I’ve done it, but I had help from the instructions from JB fab, calls to a retired transmission mission expert in my neighborhood, and friends on CB. If you have some one in your area that has twin sticks they can look at it in person, check to see if it is operational or still needs to be modified. If you put both sticks back in their linkage, can you move them independently into HGH, N, Low?
Hope this helps,
Forrest

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
Your twin sticks are set up currently to move both axles into High, N, or Low concurrently, not separately. You would need to have a kit to make changes in your Dana 20, then separate the T linkage on the Dana 20, then weld each stick to a separate linkage, BUT, you may still need to buy a twin stick kit, as your sticks look like they currently work continuously, but maybe not separately. Check out JB Custom Fabrication online, he supplies WH with their kits, his instructions were great.
The connection between the end of your twin stick goes into the Dana 20 linkage, an oval hole for both sticks. That oval has to be cut in half for the sticks to operate independently, plus you may need to make changes inside the Dana 20 to allow the front and rear gears to operate independently, as there are shafts inside with ball bearings that keep you from having independent axles in the transfer case. Making them independent can be helpful, especially if you break a rear drive shaft or rear U joint, and need to limp home on the front axle only with the rear in neutral.
There are a lot of assumptions here. 1., you actually want twin sticks that are purpose built for put axles in different modes from each other or split, and 2., The Dana 20 is original to this bronco but a previous owner put twin sticks on it but didn’t complete the process, 3. The twin sticks are fully operational now and the pictures just didn’t show it.
We need a bit more info, like what is really going on in that Dana 20, has it been modified, and do you want to do it. I’ve done it, but I had help from the instructions from JB fab, calls to a retired transmission mission expert in my neighborhood, and friends on CB. If you have some one in your area that has twin sticks they can look at it in person, check to see if it is operational or still needs to be modified. If you put both sticks back in their linkage, can you move them independently into HGH, N, Low?
Hope this helps,
Forrest

First thanks for the info. 1. I am not sure I realy need a twin stick conversion, but it is there and It will be installed in my 67. 2. I am not sure the D20 is origonal but has been modified. I bought the setup complete from a freind. He install a overdrive back a few years when gas was $5. The C4 and D20 came from a package that came from a working 1977. I asume the twin sticks were in working order. 3. I have a OEM 1967 manual three speed and D20 sitting next to the C4 setup. There is one bolt missing in the pictures and the shifting levers have dropped down about an inch. The D20 shifting shafts are different in both D20s. I asume the work has been done inside the D20 because my freind said it works.
It will be a few weeks or months befor it all goes back togeather.
I as hoping someone would reconize the twin sticks. They are heavy duty and seem well made. The setup is not installed yet and it seems the shifting levers are a bit to tall.
The shifting patern if not realy inportant now but will need it in the future.

I looded a little closer at what you said. I took a few pictures this morning.
Both levers stick through both slots and are not independant and can not be twin stick.
I will ask my freind about it. He has a nice 77 and as far as I know never had it off road.

What gears are avalible NOW?
Where should the D20 shifting be cut. It would be easy to do now that it is setting on the floor.
Maybe a d20 swap is in order.
It seems to me it may be hard shifting the twinshifter with the no clutch C4.

Attachments

• 20210517_091838.jpg
    20210517_091838.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210517_091540.jpg
    20210517_091540.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210517_091242.jpg
    20210517_091242.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210517_091222.jpg
    20210517_091222.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210514_124725.jpg
    20210514_124725.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Glad you were able to find more info, cutting flags works, but you still need to make sure that the Dana 20 is changed to allow you to use the sticks independently

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.
just cut the flags on a j shift...good to go

Well I cut the FLAGS. I am not sure what the shifting handles were ment for as they did not fit. I ajusted the fit and they shift both rods into three positions.
It will be awhile befor the package goes in but it should be OK.

This Bronco was last regestered in 1978 in CA and brought to WA in 1990. I have a bill of sale with with the corect vin on Bronco but WA requires WSP to inspect and varifie the VIN. Because of covid getting appointments are imposible. I do have other things I can do but I am holding back a little.

ol gray mare

I recently put a Winters shifter on my C4. Watch for conflict with the front drive shaft and the cable bracket. I had to modify mine a couple of times to get it right.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I recently put a Winters shifter on my C4. Watch for conflict with the front drive shaft and the cable bracket. I had to modify mine a couple of times to get it right.

Did you run your Cable forward from the winter’s shifter or to the back when you looped it?

OP
OP
DonH

DonH

Loc.

I do not see how the shift cable will interfer with the front drive shaft.

My C4 and D20 are sitting on my garage floor. I do wonder about the sharp turn that is required to get to the shifter. Also where to cut a hole in the floor.