• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 what am I missing here?

Itsa67

Contributor
I just got what appears to be a great deal on a Bronco C4. It came to me mostly complete including the adapter housing. I know it is missing the spud shaft but it looks like I may need to scrounge a bit more. Can anyone tell me from this picture of the adapter housing what it might be missing. (Maybe all there??). Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240820_150111.jpg
    20240820_150111.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Itsa67

Itsa67

Contributor
So, I am basically trying to figure out the minimum amount of things needed to get this installed into my Bronco. It came with what appears to be a rebuilt torque converter. Since I'll be swapping from a manual I know that I need to remove the bushing from the crank, purchase a 28oz imbalance flexplate and add a transmission cooler.

Any ideas on the adapter area in the first picture? This thing literally pored out bright red transmission fluid when we were loading it up. I am guessing that I am missing a bushing and some sort of seals at the minimum. Still pretty happy with my $100 purchase!

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/early-bronco-c4-automatic-dana-20-adapter

If you go to this link, look at what is there, then scroll down a bit and open the installation guide and take a look. I've never done one, but from looking at the pics, it looks to me like you are missing the bearing retainer for the spud shaft, and associated seals and clips and gaskets. And you already mentioned the spud shaft.

OP
OP
Itsa67

Itsa67

Contributor
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/early-bronco-c4-automatic-dana-20-adapter

If you go to this link, look at what is there, then scroll down a bit and open the installation guide and take a look. I've never done one, but from looking at the pics, it looks to me like you are missing the bearing retainer for the spud shaft, and associated seals and clips and gaskets. And you already mentioned the spud shaft.
Thanks for the link! At least I have an idea of what I need to be on the lookout for.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You're missing the bearing, bearing retainer, spud shaft, and input gear. The assembly often sticks with the transfer case when separated from the transmission and less than knowledgeable people don't realize the assembly goes with the transmission so they leave it with the t-case.

Here's a photo of the assembly

Attachments

• 20200705_121227.jpg
    20200705_121227.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Itsa67

Itsa67

Contributor
I'm pretty sure that is exactly what happened. The guy I bought the transmission from had a bunch of stuff for sale. I hit him up this morning but the transfer case is already gone...oh well-win some, lose some.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
You're missing the bearing, bearing retainer, spud shaft, and input gear. The assembly often sticks with the transfer case when separated from the transmission and less than knowledgeable people don't realize the assembly goes with the transmission so they leave it with the t-case.

Here's a photo of the assembly

Thanks, Justin. I've not been inside that part, so I was just going by what I saw on the WH website to get him started.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm pretty sure that is exactly what happened. The guy I bought the transmission from had a bunch of stuff for sale. I hit him up this morning but the transfer case is already gone...oh well-win some, lose some.

If you're interested in buying the assembly I have, let me know.