• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C6 married with a NP 205

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
I gotta a guy that wants to sell me his early 70's c6 with a married NP-205. Anybody put this combo in a bronco? Did it need mods (i.e drive lines, mounts, ect)? Should I even do it or keep my c4/dana 20 j-type, i know c4 is weakier but if its too much of a pian in the butt to swap the c6/205 in then i'll keep it.

Also the tranny/trans combo is $650. and he says they both work, but i'll have them rebuilt. Also putting in a 351W.

S.Hembree

Loc.
Grand Rapids
That's too much money IMHO. The swap is also kind of a pain... the NP205 is really wide and will almost be rubbing on the frame. The front driveshaft will also be VERY tight to the trans pan and require some attention. I recently picked up a Bronco with a C6 205 combo in it and am going to change it back to stock if that tells you anything. LOL want to trade? Put the money you were going to spend on the combo and beef up your C4...

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
I had that combo for a while. I swapped the 205 for a Stak 3 speed and never looked back. The 205 is just not very low (2:1). If you add a 203 doubler to it, it would be much better. That price does seem pretty high. You can get a 205 for $100 or less. They are everywhere.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
(Used Cars) That's too F-ing high!!!
If you are going to rebuild anyway just gather up the parts and put it together.

I paid about 200 for all the parts. One transfer case and 2 c6's All gathered up in one night.

The Swap: C6 to a 205 stock used an 8 3/4'' extension housing. You must have this set up to put in the bronco. There is a 5 3/4'' extension housing however if you use it the front CV shaft will hit the side of the c6 pan. The 5 3/4'' version was used with the newer chain drive transfer cases. the gear reduction in the front of them made up for the extra length needed to clear the trans case. Now if you want to put a 203/205 together you use the 5 3/4'' housing. Now if you put the long shaft with the 8 3/4'' extension housing with the 205 you will not be able change to a 203 /205 without swapping out the tail-shaft to the shorter one used on the 5 3/4'' trans

It all fits under the bronco. I can take it out with my eyes closed.

OP
OP
pyro fighter

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
So what i'm getting here is that it is way too much... lol. I get that now.

Hey Bax, where to for the extension housing? Do you like havin the 205 better then the dana 20? My 20 pisses me off, it is a pian in the a$$ to get out of 4 wheel. maybe its just me.

I want the C6 cuz I have bad experince with the C4 thats in there now, and since i'm gonna drop a 351 W in their, might as well upgrade.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The c4 is a good trans, built correctly. I had a bad experience with girls once but I still go back. I like the 205 and the c6. I like Beef, but you know the fat kid dosent always run as well as the others. The c6 will steal HP from your motor. It's good to lots to spare.