• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C9 351 windsor question

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
I know, I know, it is a typical "what is it worth" question but here goes. As far as I know it hasn't been bored over and it is a stock motor. The only things I have done to it is a new harmonic balancer, rebuilt two barrel carb, timimg chain cover, and water pump. It runs and is getting tired. Someone told me that a gear head would pay good money to have a C9 for their older car, the matching numbers thing I guess. So what is this worth? I have a chance to buy a 74 351 windsor that has been reworked for about 600. Just thinking if it would be worth it to buy this and sell mine. Thanks

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You could find a mustand guy to sell it to. If it was me I would build the one you have you know the motor. That way you dont end up with junk buying a motor you dont know can be a night mare. Good luck with your choice. :D :D :D Bill :cool: %) :p

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I personally would stay away from any 351 that has already been bored and looks like it is needing another rebuild. Odd that the block is still good would be slim and there are enought 351 out there already.

But heck if you can get a mustang guy that wants it, you might get something for it. Wouldn't count on much though.

OP
OP
F

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
Points well taken. Thanks! I called the guy back with the other motor and he said they had to sleeve the number 8 cylinder so I will stick with mine.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
For some reason I recall the 69 as being desirable. I think it has to do with the heads though rather than the block.

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
From what I have heard, the 69 351 W blocks had a higher nickel content, so the metal is stronger. Because of that the stock car racers like to use the 69 blocks and are willing to pay a little more for them. I think you might get an extra $100 bucks or so for the core. Worth a little more but not a lot.

I'd say rebuild the block you have knowing it's a little bit stronger than the later model 351s.

GubNi

Loc.
Northeast TN
The 69 engine has a higher compression. That's mostly in the heads. Definately build the one you have.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I also think that '69-70 blocks had a 9.480 deck height and then 71 went to the standard 9.503. That could make it hard to keep your compression compatible with pump gas.

OP
OP
F

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I also think that '69-70 blocks had a 9.480 deck height and then 71 went to the standard 9.503. That could make it hard to keep your compression compatible with pump gas.

So does that mean octane boost will be needed or do I have to put the brass seats in there for the valves?

Thanks for all the other info everyone! ;D

I just took some pix of Fugly the other night and I just need to send my $12.00 and I will post some up.