• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

California Smog question

Mikey

Bronco Guru
1 old 67 said:
not to be a smart guy or anything but how is it that these things that are put on cars trucks whatever . make the environment better and i know that it is worse mileage so it is putting more exhaust it the air so were is this helping ? i would like to know

I'm convinced that smog has little to do with it. They want you to buy a new car. If they really wanted to deal with smog, they'd approve some super duper cat converter and waive the visual inspection with a clean test. Why fail if the sniffer says you're clean? Why have a visual? They know it's easier to buy a new car.

Think about this....every smog station has the smog database that us tax payers pay for via taxes and fees....why is this not posted on a public site? Laws are supposed to be public domain. I should be able to go to an official site, type in my car's info and have the exact same list the smog station has for the visual inspection. But noooooo! Harass the old car owners into buying a new car! :mad:

In all truth, I left Kommiefornia because of stuff like that.....for ten years....had to come back for a job. Now the cars I used to be harassed on are exempt. ;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Not that I would ever do anything like this. Some people might buy an older title and glove box door and register it as an earlier year.

linedawg

Loc.
yreka, ca
I just had my '76 smogged here in N. Calif in June. The smog manual for a '76
showed that the catalytic converter had to be installed, "if equipped". That's what the footnote said. Might try to work that angle, to get around the cat.
Ask to get a copy of the smog requirements for your rig. Hope this helps.