• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cam

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
i am going to pull my engine soon and i think i want to put a cam in it to get that deep rumble and possibly gain some power from it what kind should i get its te stock 302 with a 4 barrel and intake i want to pull it do a gasket kit and clean the engine bay up the engine ony has 57000 origional miles so i dont see a need to rebuild it

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
just ordered a comp 4x4 cam. motor is at the machine shop right now... cant wait too see how it works

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would suggest a Erson RV or small TQ you should call them tell them what you have. Then they will suggest the cam that will work for you. On a offroad cam you dont want a bunch of lump lump you want a cam that makes good torque. Most lump typ cams make HP at the high end 4000 to 6ooo RPM not good playing they are for raceing good luck with your choice.:D :D :D Bill :cool: ;D %)

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
i want it to sound bitchin and run good in the dunes. i drive it on the street the river bar and in the dunes

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Ford Racing M-6250-A332 camshaft is awesome! dont let any one tell you its too much for wheeling. I put it in mine and everyone that said it is too much thinks it great now!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Call some cam companies and get there advice they will take into account what you want to use it for along with gearing other mod ect and get a cam better suited for your needs. Most RV cams will work fine but its still good to get something closer to your actual needs as RV cams are availible from mild to wild side.

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
Cant go wrong with a comp cams 4x4 cam. Thats what I run in my 393 and it makes awesome low end torque. Its something like .477 .493, with duration in the 218* range I believe.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Comp Cams XE262H, heres some pics been working on the Bronco for 3 years now it WILL crank by saturday! Sunday It'll be upgraded to running chasis...Then the body work begins!

Attachments

• MOTOR2.JPG
    MOTOR2.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 38
  • MOTOR3.JPG
    MOTOR3.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 46
  • MOTOR.JPG
    MOTOR.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
That HE262H is nice...I had the HE268 ("Hi-Energy" was before the "XE" Xtreme Energy cams) in my '75 a decade + ago and it was, to date myself, Awesome. In my next motor I went with the 262 and was very pleased. Nice idle and great all around performance. Have an Edelbrock Performer (forget the specs at the moment) and it's OK, though a little more for top-end than I'd prefer, but OK.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
between the 262 & 268 the 268 is lopier. A bit higher in the RPM range as well, I had a 2K stall in the C4 and it worked nicely, though it never saw much as far as trail usage or crawling.

jdub1233

I went with the Lunati Voodoo, I've yet to install it but have friends that will use nothing else in their trucks, they love them.

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
this one wont see the rocks or the trail. just the dunes street and the river bar. i would like a lopier cam for the bitchin factor . i have a c4 and i want to upgrade to 4.10 gearing to go with my 35s

pblackb592

I also ran the 268h back about 10 years ago now. My old motor was pretty strong. I had that paired up with some 351 heads on my 302.in my new bronco Ive got a rebuilt stock motor now with only 31s and it runs very good, but no where near the power my old bronco had.

Redleg

If you are running wide open throttle on the dunes and street, a cam that gives a lot of duration will give you the roughest idle for the "bitchin" factor. It also helps out if you have not had your heads done. A high lift cam needs good breathing heads and headers to maximize your investment. The older cams with longer duration don't have the lift but keep the valves open longer to help the engine breathe. The downside is you will have crap for vacuum so vacuum assist brakes, a/c and such will be virtually useless, but it will lope like a striped eared gorilla and make power above 3000 rpm! If you run an auto, you will need to get a stall converter that matches the cam and rpm required to keep it running while stopped (the idle will be higher and with a C4 it will want to drive off with a stock stall) and allow you to launch from the line. If you are changing gears, you may want to go a little taller than 4:10 as with 35's, they will be equivalent to a 3:50 stock gear ratio. You may want to step up to the next taller gear while you are in there so you can hook it up and make it howl.

Last edited:

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Hi: I run a Comp.Cam 35-238-3 in my 72 with a 351w 500cfm Holley, long tube headers, Comp. Cam roller rockers, c4 auto 3:50 gears and it makes lots of power and has a slight lope at idle, just enough rumpity rump to be nasty sounding, valve lift .493int. .500ex. w/ stock torque convertor.

stock74

From experience my suggestion especially since you are using what sounds like the stock engine is to call multiple cam companies comp, crane, isky to name a few and give them the specs of your vehicle and engine and your planned use etc. Then compare their suggestions. The reason I say this is because the stock heads do not flow well and the stock compression ratio is low should be something like 8.0:1 if you have a '76. Both of which are not a good combination with a large cam. Ask me how I know %) . I bought a cam with too much duration and overlap which ended up making the engine having less power then stock. After a lot of research and talking with people I decided to swap the cam to something smaller and now the engine is much happier. Just thought I would warn you so you hopefully won't make the same mistake I did. If you want a big cam you might need to bump up the compression ratio somehow and get some better flowing heads.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I run Comp 266HR in my 347 roller. It does have a little noticable idle lope. It did not want to spin the 33's (4.10's) I just took off and replaced with 35's. Top end is unreal with the AFR heads. By the way I run a 2300 stall converter.
For the smaller ci's I had a 302 with Comps 274HR. It needed a 3200 stall converter to get it to really rock and roll. In would even suggest a 3500 stall if I did it again, but not a good combo for offroading.

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
ive been reading what guys are running 351 heads on their 302s? is there something i could use that isnt aftermarket off another ford small block or do i need to go aftermarket?