• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I replace my inline 6 with a Ford 302?

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
Will it hook up to the tranny or will I have to make modifications? The 302 came out of an EB as well. Also, will it mount the same? Thanks!

JB

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Depends on the Six you are replacing. If you ahve a 240 or 300, or VERY late 200/250. Then yes, your transmission will bolt up.

If you are replacing a 170 or earlier 200, (most likely) then no, the transmission will not bolt up.

And as said you will need to change your motor mounts, and possibly upgrade your radiator.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Nope
289, 302, 351w, 351c and 300 6cyl all have the same bell housing pattern.
None of which will work with the bell housing you have now.
You could change the bell housing to work with the V8 and your trans.
But then will have problems with the length of the extension housing.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Your best bet if you still want a 3 speed manual tranny is to get one that was behind a V8 Bronco originally that still has the V8 TC adaptor and V8 bell housing. Many people upgrade away from the stock 3 speed so finding one should be easy. You will also have to change the frame/motor mounts but that easy if you have a welder. You will need to upgrade to a V8 radiator/rad mounts too.

rocklord

The 144, 170, and 200cid (up to 1980) used a high mount starter bellhousing. The later 200/all 250cid used a low mount starter bellhousing similar to the SBF V8.

bsquared

Contributor
Search the tech forum for I-6 to 302 swap and there's a ton of build threads. It's one of the most popular and I could not have done mine a year ago without the info on this site.

I hope to get a build thread up soon. Here's a few pics of what you're looking at. As said, cut I-6 motor towers out and weld in V-8 ones. If you stay with a 3 speed, it'll go fast. I went ZF 5 speed and it rocks, but chewed up a lot of time and $$.

Good luck on your build! B2

Attachments

• Weld1.JPG
    Weld1.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Weld2.JPG
    Weld2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 21
  • FrameClean.JPG
    FrameClean.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Primer3.JPG