• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

can I stop rust?

panteramatt

I just noticed on one side of the bronco in the rear side of the tub where the seam is that its starting to bubble up and rust. Is there something I can do now to prevent it from getting worse?

OX1

Bronco Guru
Rust never even naps, let alone sleep(s)...........:p

BIG_UGLY75

Loc.
baytown
Yup.. rust is notorious for hiding under paint...sand he area till you see no more rust, then sand about six in. Fother...

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The problem with that rear quarter panel is that the rust starts in the seem and cant be reached well from the surface. I had the same issue several years ago and tried to treat it from the surface. It held up for a while but in the end I had to cut the panel off to get at the rust. Hopefully, yours has not progressed that far.

jchester404

Loc.
Boston
What are some simple and/or long methods of protecting your bronco if you're living a few miles away from the ocean (Florida)?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What are some simple and/or long methods of protecting your bronco if you're living a few miles away from the ocean (Florida)?

Move inland! Really, short of treating any current rust and doing a really really good seal job on all of the seams and the paint being in great shape the salt will take it's toll. You pay a price for the view man.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've seen Land Rovers on the Islands of Belize just sitting on sand without literally a square inch of metal not being rusted...entire frame looks like a cheese grater...sad. The aluminum looked terrible too... in other words, that close to salt filled humidity gets everywhere. You might be able to slow it some with the suggestions above, but plan on cancer in 5-8 years or less...

Good luck.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Move inland! Really, short of treating any current rust and doing a really really good seal job on all of the seams and the paint being in great shape the salt will take it's toll. You pay a price for the view man.

Lol. I was going to make a similar pithy comment.

Seriously, even with seam sealing you've got the rockers and cross braces which would be impossible to keep salt and water out. Just too many nooks and crannies. Seems to me the only way to stop rust in that type of environment is go glass, or leave it in garage for the winter.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Another vote for fluidfilm. Paint and detail then spray it on top. The stuff is really hard to get paint worthy after applying to a surface (need degreaser and maybe steam cleaning).

ransil

Bronco Guru
when using any type of rust proofing you need to clean and touch up every year.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Lol. I was going to make a similar pithy comment.

Well I was going to make the snotty get a glass body like me, but you covered that! I gave a lot of thought to my situation, given that my truck will see most of the rest of it's life on a Caribbean island and came to the conclusion that a glass body was the best choice. It is certainly a way to stop rust completely. I just wish I would have galvanized the frame when I had the chance. It's true the maddness never stops, because if I would have galvanized the frame then I would be worrying about if the dash is going to rust.

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
There are Bronco's with rust and Bronco's that will have rust. A guy made a comment to me in the parts store one day, he said, "Bronco's came from the factory with rust."

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I did not read all the post above. So God help me if I step on someones toes .. But I read really slow that's why I didn't tread them.
.. But since I sold Dupont automotive paint products from 1967 until 1995 & then som other brands for another 4 years.
... Now Duponts answer to this was ...''NO'' Not really .. But you can cover it up for a long time .. They said while working with factory reps.. TO grind away all the rust to bear metal . Then very fast put on Metal prep no 5717s.. Has to be mixed with water and be sure and used rubber gloves or all the meat on your hands will turn BROWN.
.. Then ask for instructions But I'll say use some of the new 2 part 2000K primers . Color of choice.
... Now is that what I did on my Bronco ... NO .... I ground out all of the rust I could dispose of and then painted mine with some little 5 oz bottle of Black stuff that is supposed to convert rust to primer. Let this dry an primed over with a FREE lacquer style primer. Mine seems to be rust free at least I don't see any boils..
.... One of the main point they tried to get us to teach was get your bear metal covered up as fast as possible . Don't let it set over night in the shop to change temps 2 or 3 times. Get it in a good coat of primer.
... Hope that helps . Ask more questions but it is getting much harder for me to remember the answers to a lot of the things I used to do daily .