• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can you remove the plastic nob on Auto shifter?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Like the title says, can you get the plastic nob off of the shift lever on a 76-77? I am wanting to powdercoat the handle but need the plastic nob off. If it cant be removed, can it be cut off and replaced with new?

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Okay so #2 is can you buy a new one if I rip this one off? Are they different than manual shift nobs? I thought they did come off but I failed miserably to take it off without marring it.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Maybe you could take the mangled one (after you have removed it) down to a machine shop and have them make you a billet one. Just throwing ideas out there for you man.

Shawn

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I Know You Can Buy New Ones But I Don't Know How The Old Ones Some Off.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Well I talked to Tom's they said they carry the knob and it is $25, called JBG and they said it is the same as the auto (which I for some reason doubt) and its $12. Any other feedback out there? I guess I can replace the knob so I may as well rip it off and get the sucker pc'd like I wanted.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Maybe you could take the mangled one (after you have removed it) down to a machine shop and have them make you a billet one. Just throwing ideas out there for you man.

Shawn

You are dangerous Shawn, flat out dangerous!

Hawkdoc

Try using a heat gun to loosen up any old glue in there before tearing it up.

Hawkdoc

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
You are dangerous Shawn, flat out dangerous!

Me Dangerous? Now the Pink Bronco that's Dangerous......or its just after me.;D I am just trying to be helpful, thats all. I gather you do not like my idea? You act though as if you are on a tight deadline or something.;D

Shawn

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Use a propane torch and lighty heat the metal (little at a time) close to the knob and when it is hot enough you'll be able to remove. If you are good at it then you could save the knob to reuse.. Protect the knob from the torch with a wet rag wrapped around it.

trophybass

Loc.
Plant City, Florida
Mine took some work but i got it off; i wrapped it up tight so i didnt scratch the chrome lever then clamped it in a vise and then used channel locks/vice grips and pulled/lightly tapped the knob with a hammed and it came off just fine. I then used the same procedure(just more carefully)to remove the chrome knob from a manual shift lever(it looks really nice ;chrome/chrome). I did have to use a dremel and cut about 1/8" off of my auto lever because the manual chrome knob wouldnt slide on all the way but i think it was just some old glue stuck in there.