• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can you torch off the J-shift flags?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Or would that damage something else from the heat? I could use a cold wet towel on the case side.

I don’t want to hurt any seals other than the shift shaft seals, which is why I’d rather torch to get it cleanly off so I can replace those seals.

Anyone tried it?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sure you can, you animal! What is it with people today? Nobody wants to hurt the the seals anymore? In my day you clubbed the baby ones and made underwear out of the skin.

Are you saying you want to cut the flags completely off so you can remove the old seals and then install new ones. Thus never removing the shift rods from the case? Then welding the flags back on so your twin stick will work.
Well sure you can. Pictures please

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Sure you can, you animal! What is it with people today? Nobody wants to hurt the the seals anymore? In my day you clubbed the baby ones and made underwear out of the skin.

Are you saying you want to cut the flags completely off so you can remove the old seals and then install new ones. Thus never removing the shift rods from the case? Then welding the flags back on so your twin stick will work.
Well sure you can. Pictures please
Haha, that would be crazy, which I am sometimes but that’s overkill.

No, getting rid of them and going cable shifter from JB Fab.

Nobody responded so I started just cutting.

What have me the thought is that you can clearly see they just put some welds in some holes.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got one cut but when the neighbor next door started grilling and it smelled so good, I felt bad making so much grinding and cutting noise so I'll do the other one tomorrow.

I put the adapter on the tranny instead and mapped out where I need to cut a hole for my shifter cables. No idea how much room I'll have so not sure if I need to raise the tranny up there to double check before I cut or what.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I got one cut but when the neighbor next door started grilling and it smelled so good, I felt bad making so much grinding and cutting noise so I'll do the other one tomorrow.
You are a good neighbor! My neighbor waits all day to cut the grass until we're eating crabs on the porch.