• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cant remove front output shaft from D20 for rebuild?

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
I am about to lose it here. Please give me some insight on how to remove the front output shaft on the dana 20. I have torn everything out besides the front shaft and its gears and shift fork. The worst part is I don't even know how all this sh*t goes back together. HELP!

SS

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Hey - arn't those t-cases fun. It took me all weekend to do mine. The front output shaft took the cake. I could not figure out how to pull through with the bearing on the front and back. Turns out the front bearing just slides off. Or at least it did this time.

I did discover one very valuable trick. The hex screw that holds the shift forks on my d20 would not budge. I twisted two allen wrenches trying to get them loose. I finally went down to the auto parts house and bought a little $2 socket with an allen head on it. Worked like a charm.

Oh yea, almost forgot the roller bearings in the idler gear. I just happened to stumble onto a solid piece of metal that was the exact same size as the stud that holds the idler gear in. So I assembled the hear with roller bearing onto this piece of metal, then slid the stud through. It was so easy, I though "am I doing this right.

Check out the pix...

Attachments

• Misc 009 (Small).jpg
    Misc 009 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 34
  • Misc 010 (Small).jpg
    Misc 010 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 34
  • Misc 038 (Small).jpg
    Misc 038 (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 34
  • transfer case 002 (Small).jpg