• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Capping/blocking off AC compressor for future use (Explorer 5.0)?

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I don't want to bypass the compressor using the "compressor delete" method. I want to keep it attached to the Explorer front dress / serpentine for future use. What should I do with the outlets on the compressor? I feel like plugging them would damage the compressor. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
You can buy caps that screw on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So assume if I plug the outlets on the compressor, not install any of the lines and don't plug the electrical connector in then it will just act like a normal pulley without the clutch engaged? I can just imagine it trying to turn the internals of the compressor, building up pressure and blowing it apart.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
So I think I'll just do the shorter serpentine belt AC Delete trick. Seems to be the most cost effective and least potential for issues. Finding the correct "block-offs" has proven confusing and more money than a shorter belt.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Thanks all. For $28 I got cheap made in India Duralast #835K6 Serpentine belt at lunch today. By the time it breaks I should have my future AC system setup ready ;)

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I have a capped off and unplugged compressor on mine and it works just fine as an idler until I decide to install a/c.