• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Capping off heater outlet on water pump

centex77

What's the best way to cap off the outlet on the water pump to the heater core? Just a rubber plug and a hose clamp? Or does it need to be fed back in to the engine somewhere to keep the loop flowing?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Flow is from top of intake water neck to the heater core through the core back to the water pump. Pump end is suction. 2 ways to fix it is to pull the tube from the water pump and Tap the hole for 1/2" pipe thread and plug it or find a freeze plug and press it into the hole in the water pump casting. Most trail fixes just loop the heater hose back to the pump.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You can buy the rubber caps at the ap store but they don't last. I'm in the middle of a hydro boost swap so I bought a new water pump while we're in there. I had the nipple pulled out and threaded for a plug. With that route you can always buy the right fitting to put a hose back on if you decide to run a heater.

Dlish

I have a rubber cap and hose clamp on for the time being. But I like the other options, something to think about for the future

OP
OP
C

centex77

I've got the bypass from the thermostat to the water pump hooked up. Just the line from the pump to the heater core I need to cap. I've thought about just capping it but was concerned it might cause cavitation or something since it would be a closed circuit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a waterpump that the nipple was threaded in. Was easy enough to unscrew it and match it to a pipe thread and put a plug in it.

The caps are well known garbage. It may seem a little getto, but a short length of good heater hose, ended with a heater hose to pipe thread nipple, and a regular metal pipe thread cap. Not as pretty but a lot more durable than the rubber cap.

It can be looped back to the intake, a heater core bypass. Done countless times as a way to keep driving a car when the heater core springs a leak. My only gripe is there is a good amount of water bypassing the radiator doing it this way. Can lead to cooling issues. Or if you don't have a spare port on the intake to give up this is also an issue.

OP
OP
C

centex77

I've got a spare port. I've got the temp sensor in a port to the right of the distributor so the port that it's usually in is open.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I just looped the hose back to the pump for the first year until I restored my heater... I don't see any reason you couldn't do that for the long term.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought several rubber caps for the water pump, threw the extras in the glove box. Put a pipe plug in the intake. Later down the road may do something better on the water pump. Bronco doesn't have a heater box, tossed it when putting back together.

OP
OP
C

centex77

No AC or heater on mine either. I like the idea of removing the pipe and plugging it. Might go that route. Would be a clean look. Thanks y’all.

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
Will it work like this if its just going to the other side of the thermostat?

Attachments

• 20180515_172554.jpg
    20180515_172554.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 52