• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carb or ignition

cantrem

Hi, I have been having trouble with my Bronco wanting to stall out. When first starting out it will want to die and you have to fan the pedel, but when you start up a hill it wiil stall out and die. Flat ground, once you get going it runs strong. Its a older edelbrock 1406. I just put a rebuild kit in and changed the accelerator pump but it is still acting up. Could the ignition system do this or did I do a lousy rebuild job. I have already checked the timing and she fires up easily. Thanks

OP
OP
C

cantrem

yea hoses are good and i have new gaskets but i havent checked for leaks since the rebuild. I'll try it.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Cold start sounds like a choke/fast idle adjustment. Uphill problem could be float level or vacuum advance issue. You can cap off the vacuum advance at carb and try it to see if that is the issue.

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
i have the same carb on mine and it runs great on flat land. i havent hit the trails with it yet, but after asking around on here everyone seems to tell me that carb is no good for off roading , they all recommended going to efi or q-jet. it seems that after listening to people talk that 1406 is a streeet carb only so im in search of a q-jet right now myself.

OP
OP
C

cantrem

Yea I have read they are bad offroad(steep grades) but mine is stalling going up a driveway thats steep but not that bad. I already had it so I tried to fix it so I could invest in other things, but if It keeps up I will look for a QJET to. I'll try the vacuum advance thing first though, thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check your float level and make sure theres no debris in the needle seats as it sounds like its flooding out. Might consider getting a holley carb no adapters needed. they run great offroad and on road.