• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb to Egr Spacer advice needed

Kansasminers

I bought me a new carb (2150 2v) for my 76 302. When I went to install it on my egr equipped spacer plate, the carb would not sit flat on the plate because the enrichment valve cover on the bottom of the carb at the front, was too low and would hit a tube coming out of the front of the spacer (I believe the tube connects to the valve cover on the drivers side). Do I have the wrong carb, spacer plate, etc. any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
Are you using the thick gasket between the the carb & spacer or the thin paper like one?
The thin one should be between the manifold & spacer and the thick one between the spacer & carb.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
Sounds like something is a little off but as was mentioned you may need a thicker gasket. You should be able to get a gasket that is 1/4" thick you'll gain the clearance needed and help isolate the carb from heat.

OP
OP
K

Kansasminers

Thanks for the help. I do have the correct thick gasket but it would have to be at least a half inch thick to raise the carb far enough to clear. Do they make gaskets that thick?

Doyle

Bronco Guru
On my 73, the original 302 engine had that tube coming out the rear of the spacer, with a hard line running around the carb on the passenger side, then a short hose to the pvc. Might try turning the spacer around. If carb fits you can use a longer hose to the pvc valve.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If he has a egr valve you cant turn it around. The thickest gasket I know of is 1/4"

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Did you end up solving this? I'm having the same issue on my 302 with factory intake and 2V carb....bought a low profile chrome air cleaner from TBP and I can't shut my hood. My buddy working on the truck says it has the EGR spacer and phenolic spacer on it from the Previous owner... I now also have long tub headers on it so no EGR feeding to the carb... Can I just get rid of both?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Does the old carb have the same issue? If not it sounds like they gave you the wrong new carb. Maybe post some pictures of the clearance problem?

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Bump! again I'm having the same issue... 2V Carb on my 77 will not sit flat on the EGR spacer. I have a 1/2" phenolic spacer but can I get rid of EGR? Please let me know, this is holding up my truck and I really don't want to put stock offset filter system back on the truck...

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Yes you can remove the EGR plate and replace it with a universal 1/2"-3/4" spacer but be sure to get one that covers the exhaust port in the manifold on the passenger side.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Summit sells a nice billet replacement by Trans Dapt (I think that is the name)...it costs $60 but looks great on my new motor.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I remember having a similar problem on mine with an edelbrock performer 302 intake. It had the egr port... Instead of fanagling with gaskets, i drilled and tapped the hole with 1/2np threads, sunk a plug into it, and made it flush with a 2 part epoxy (not jb weld, but similar) so it wouldnt have a vacuum leak there.
Cheap and easy. Now i can have a phenolic spacer with worrying about height, and multiple gaskets

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Summit sells a nice billet replacement by Trans Dapt (I think that is the name)...it costs $60 but looks great on my new motor.

I'm looking on summit and jegs, lots of options but none specify that they cover the intake exhaust port. Do you have a part number or link?

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I am at work now...when I get home I will see if I can find a part number or link.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
Yes you can remove the EGR plate and replace it with a universal 1/2"-3/4" spacer but be sure to get one that covers the exhaust port in the manifold on the passenger side.

Any suggestions? If I'm buying on line I can't verify so I need to know the exact part to buy. Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kansasminers

This actually ended up being an easy fix. The enrichment valve cover on the bottom front of the carb was too tall. I called National Carb company and they sent me a shorter cover. This solved all the clearance problems.