• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carbed fuel return?

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Has anyone looked into this? Specifically, adding a return line by using a fuel filter from a late 70's-80's jeep w/304? It had a return line built into the filter, and was done to help with vapor lock. Given current fuel formulations and ethanol additions, I can see where percolation specifically and vapor lock(to a lesser extent) could be an issue for those of us running stock pumps and carbs.
I've noticed that after driving on the highway, and then getting caught in traffic, that if I idle for long periods the idle starts to deteriorate. Thinking that maybe a return line might help that. Any thoughts?
Greg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '73 6-port manual fuel tank selector is a fairly rare 1-year only piece.
Being this was a one year only feature, probably wasn't the greatest.

Yes, I had thought about this. But in the end I never had enough issues to justify the work and complexity. Careful fuel line routing was all I ever needed even in the summers here in AZ with an electric pump mounted by the master cylinder pulling fuel. It just worked without it.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford started putting return lines on the mechanical fuel pumps in 1979, and continued making them that way till throttle body and EFI replaced the carburetors. There's no reason to go to Heep parts. The fuel pump return line is a lot easier to plumb to. I believe EBs are free of vapor lock when there's no blockage or restriction between the tanks and the pump. Even in 115 degree heat I've had no vapor lock.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Never had a vapor lock problem, the only small issue i ever have, seems to be more of a percolation condition, and even then its only in heavy traffic (stop and go/ drive thru). Not so much of a problem that I dont drive it everyday, just something I'd like to improve on.
Greg

rjmunson

Loc.
Denver
Thunderhead289 did a video just today on a simple little part from Moroso which will allow you to do a return line into the tank filler neck.

Video:
https://youtu.be/vSTUXpzsKUE

Part:
https://amzn.to/2W0uoNT

Based on his advice and conversations with him I'm putting in a return line with a pressure regulator post carburetor fuel rail. I've got the original style 23 gal rear tank though and will be running the return to one of the vent tubes.