• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carpet Hold Down Kit Question

Jc.av8r

I can't find an answer for this specifically, but when installing the carpet hold down trim, am I just supposed to drill right through the carpet/flooring sheet metal?

I assume I should do some pilot holes first and then use the provided screws. Is there anything important to be aware of?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Be careful if you have an auxiliary fuel tank. A lot of people have drilled into their tank. I would not drill thru the carpet. That stuff can wrap around your drill bit really quick. Just pull it back out of the way while you drill.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I used a punch, heated it up with a torch and stuck it in the holes of the trim to burn a hole in the carpet prior to drilling to keep the carpet from getting snagged on the drill bit. But to answer your question, yes drill holes and then screw the trim down

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Be careful if you have an auxiliary fuel tank. A lot of people have drilled into their tank. I would not drill thru the carpet. That stuff can wrap around your drill bit really quick. Just pull it back out of the way while you drill.
I used a punch, heated it up with a torch and stuck it in the holes of the trim to burn a hole in the carpet prior to drilling to keep the carpet from getting snagged on the drill bit. But to answer your question, yes drill holes and then screw the trim down

Thanks both. No aux fuel tank to worry about. Appreciate the advice!

Justin Palmer

Contributor
Thanks both. No aux fuel tank to worry about. Appreciate the advice!
I use a soldering iron to burn the holes. It works well..

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

What I've discovered is that my roll cage is in the way. I guess I can just cut the hold down strip a bit short so that it fits.

Anyone had to deal with the same issue and done the same?