• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter P4070 fuel pump placement

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So my buddy has 3 tanks on his '72.
Passenger/Driver and main rear tanks.
-I am going to use the Carter P4070 LP electric fuel pump.
-Can I bypass the factory fuel selector valve and tie all the tanks together?
-Would frame rail or rear rear crossmember be best placement of the FP in this situation?
Thanks,
BI

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, you cannot combine all the lines. It will work until one tank runs out of fuel at which point the pump is sucking air. It is easy to suck air, so the pump will do that and ignore the fuel in the other tanks.

As for location, I have found the 4070 to not care. There is an orintation (terminals up), but I have placed the pump near the factory park brake cable bracket under the driver's seat, up next to the master cylinder, and even behind the driver's headlight. They all worked perfect.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you could use some electric selector valves with a sensor tied into the fuel sender to automatically switch from tank to tank.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Closer to tank is typically better, but the 4070 is the Honey Badger of fuel pumps, it don't care other than make sure it has a good ground and good power wire.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the carter P4070 as the LP on my efi system and it has been flawless the last 10 years.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Just in case you don't know this . if you have fuel returns hooked up. the access fuel from one tank can be pumped into a different tank . & CAUSING A BIG MESS. .. YOUR FUEL FROM ONE tank will over fill another tank & cause it to run out & cause a fire hazard .
SO KEEP THAT IN MIND.
......i Too like the P4070 PUMPS but as of late I've had several Break the insulation where the wire go into the pump. So you end up with 2 14ga. wire both with no insulation . less than 1/8 of an inch apart. Not a good situation.
They make some kind of liquid insulation you can squeeze out onto this bad location. I'd say keep an Eye on this spot just for safty.

Last edited:

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I use the Carter fuel pump to transfer fuel from my auxiliary tank to the main tank via my efi return line, there is a check valve between the pump and the return line as fuel would bypass the pump and slowly fill the auxiliary tank, the check valve stopped this issue. I have a safety switch on the dash to prevent accidental fuel transfer. This setup works great. 99F835A6-776D-433B-99DE-F4E28A8EFFCB.jpeg