• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter P4070 install

OP
OP
jdowns67

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Fuel filter on top of the frame might be another thing to consider. That's basically above the fuel level all the time. Maybe you can route the line under the frame rail and put the filter at the same level as the pump?

How much fuel was in the tanks? Full? Under half?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Was just under 1/3 and then I stopped and filled up. Didn't start doing in until after I had filled up. You may be on to something with the fuel filter level idea!

OP
OP
jdowns67

jdowns67

Contributor
Owner since 2001
Loc.
Wilmington, NC
So I figured out the problem has something to do with under hood heat affecting the Holley regulator. With both the P4070 and the P4594 I ordered, the pressure before the filter and regulator is only about 4 lbs. The 4594 was not much different than the 4070 even though on paper it is rated at a higher pressure. I ended up putting a fuel pressure gauge before the filter and regulator and then at the regulator which is how I diagnosed the problem. Both pumps were only at about 1.5 to 2 psi at the regulator with the set screw all the way in and the motor hot after driving. I think the heat was affecting the spring in the regulator. I have since installed a P4601HP which is putting out about 15psi before the filter and regulator and I was fianlly able to get the regulator to act like its supposed to and regulate the pressure to about 5.5psi which is what my Edelbrock 1406 wants. I think the fact that I have the off road needle and seats in the carburetor made it not work at the low 1.5-2psi. I will report back once I have driven it a little.