• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Caster desired on D60...what is stock? Knuckles are off so I can "dial in"...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Caster desired on D60...what is stock? Knuckles are off so I can "dial in"...

OK, '78 F350 D60 is going in up front. Drivers side is being shortened and PS is being cut also...

I've got 40" tires, do I want more caster than stock with the pinion straight at the t-case or do I want to stick with the appr 5 deg stock setting?

How does a larger tire affect caster setting? I drive this a LOT on the highway and did Moab 3 x last year just so you know what my goals are...thanks

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'll post some of what we all ready talked about.

6-8 degrees with big tires works really well, I've been known to run up to 10, my personal rig is at 8.5 (at ride height). I also do 6-8 with stockish sized tires as well. If the pinion will clear everything, yes straight at the tcase, that will keep the drive train chatter at bay. Last thing you want is shaft chatter from the ujoint cycling as it rotates, seen a lot of guys spend a lot of time and money chasing what was just incorrect ujoint angles.

I get driving a lot, put about 10,000 miles on mine every year and more if I can get away with it. Put 500 miles on it while in Moab 3 weeks ago and DD it as much as I can.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
And while your assembling.... don't forget to have 1 - 1.5 degrees of camber, it will help keep it tracking straight. Also tuner details, add 1/2-1 degree more caster on passenger side to help compensate for road crown, at least that's what my alignment guy says (he aligns class 8 trucks for a living).

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That was my next question...camber-more on pass side??? I've read the same... thx again Steve!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
My front axle is the same caster and camber on both sides, it seems to be just fine. slight pull left if crowned to the left and a slight pull right if crowned to the right. Neither is objectionable, does track very straight considering its squared with a tape measure, aligned with the same tape measure along with an angle finder. Tires wear nice too, no funky cupping, or bad wear, which is a miracle with the amount of camber (is visible to the eye) and the fact it only gets driven on perfect paved roads on Sunday:p oh wait everyone seen that video:eek:;D