• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Centech headlight switch

JeffLutz

I spent 2 1/2 years on a frame off restoration of my 76. The restoration included a Centech wiring harness. It was great. I have been driving the bronco now that it is finished and the headlight switch only lights the dash and rear lights if it is pulled to a very certain position ( not all the way out ). I ordered a new headlight switch form Centech and the exact same issue. I am a bit of a perfectionist and it drives me nuts, plus any other driver would not notice the rear lights were not combining on. ZERO other issues with the wiring. Any one else have this problem?

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Centech light switch

Jeff,

I have not finished my build, but have the same wiring harness and switch. I will have to look for this. Hopefully someone who has done theirs will respond.

v/r,

SevenT

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never a problem on any of the ones I've done, or of those I've personally known.
That does not mean it couldn't be a long-term issue, but I have just not run across it before.

It's a standard Ford switch too, from what I remember. So you could try another one from a local supplier to see if it's just a QC issue with whoever makes Centech's switches for them.
I can't remember, but believe it's just an '80's truck switch? You could take yours down to the local parts store and compare easy enough I would think.

But also, since it's effecting two switches of such wide purchase dates, you might inspect the main connector much more closely as well.
It may have a fault in it that's not letting one wire connect fully perhaps. Or the one specific wire is on the wrong contact point.
I don't know if it carried over to later switches, but the early switches were common across the manufacturers in one respect. On early (pre'68?) versions the wires went to one available terminal, while on later ones it was moved over. That one wire was for the front running lamps, so it should not effect tail lamps, but you never know.

The idea was that early vehicles had front marker/running lamps that were on only in the first position of the switch, then went back out when the headlights came on with the second click.
Later when the laws changed, they kept them on, but kept the switches so they could be used on older vehicles and work as expected.

Good luck. Strange issue for sure.

paul

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Im using the replacement switch from jeffs, I think I had to rob the galvanized cup like bracket off the centech switch to get it to fit, but im not 100% sure as it was earlier this summer. Anyways mine works great

17132.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The centech switch is from a 79 Mustang, been there done that, mine lasted 10 minutes. Napa part number HL6629

My experience has been that the Factory harness headlight plug, will not work with Centech's switch. Glad someone identified that it was a Ford product of a later design.

I also have experienced Vendors that buy a quantity of product to get a discount. Most of the time that means they are price concerned, so their product is made off shore. And it generally means the quality is not close to factory.
Like the Hella H4 headlights I bought where the bulb, made in India, only worked once and then fried itself :cry: