• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ch*vy disc:new backing plates?

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
So I haven't been able to find a decent pair of backing plates to do my conversion..The new ones from the Bronco houses seem a bit steep at $109 each..I did find an article in a '94 4 Wheeler mag. that had a parts list with the part #'s:14023429,14023430 ....and I can get those online for $62 ea....Has anyone used these and are they the correct part numbers?<br><br>I realize that this isn't going to be the cheapist of conversions,but I still think I can do it for under $450...and that's with all new parts.<br><br>Thanks everyone<br>-Anders

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
I'm working on the same project from the same angle you are. As of right now, I'm considering going to Complete Offroad for the Brackets. They are used, but if they are in good condition, I'll use them. Prices seem pretty good on several of the parts I need from them.<br><br>You can check it out at completeoffroad.com.<br><br>This vendor was recommended to me by some of the gurus on this Board whom are far more knowledgable than me.

leaded1825

When I did the disc conversion I just grabbed all the parts at the junk yard. The backing plates were a little rusted but I just sanded them and painted black. Now they are as good as new.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
[quote author=leaded1825 link=board=5;threadid=12530;start=0#93520 date=1040529342]<br>When I did the disc conversion I just grabbed all the parts at the junk yard. The backing plates were a little rusted but I just sanded them and painted black. Now they are as good as new.<br>[/quote]<br>I don't mind a little rust....I just haven't found any in the junk yards around here....the time spent searching could be spent working on the Bronco....I've got a few free days next week so I might try and hit some more yards

leaded1825

I used to live in SD until Aug. The place I went to was Pick Your Part. It is near the border. To far for you to make it worth your while. I had the time to look for them while I was working on my bronco. My build up took me 2 1/2 years before I got to drive it. Now I have plans for all sorts of mods.

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
[quote author=broncoswede61 link=board=5;threadid=12530;start=0#93517 date=1040528569]<br>It comes up as a dead link.Do you have any other info on C.O.R.E.<br>Thanks<br>[/quote]http://community-2.webtv.net/broncoparts2/COMPLETEOFFROAD/<br><br>Try this.

MY 4 BY

Hey Broncoswede61...MY4BY here.<br>I wonder if you would do me a favor. Since you haven't found suitable backing plates yet, I assume that your brakes are still torn down. If that is true, would you take the time to help me with a project that I have going. I need the measurement of the stub axle where the Torrington 2110 roller bearing rides. This Torrington bearing is located inside the spindle. I'm trying to find a better way to seal this area. The only protection that the hub has now is a "wiper seal" and thats not much help when it comes to deep water crossings. If you could put a mic. on that o.d. for me I would appreciate it.<br>Thanks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=broncoswede61 link=board=5;threadid=12530;start=0#93465 date=1040504672]<br>So I haven't been able to find a decent pair of backing plates to do my conversion..The new ones from the Bronco houses seem a bit steep at $109 each..I did find an article in a '94 4 Wheeler mag. that had a parts list with the part #'s:14023429,14023430 ....and I can get those online for $62 ea....Has anyone used these and are they the correct part numbers?<br><br>I realize that this isn't going to be the cheapist of conversions,but I still think I can do it for under $450...and that's with all new parts.<br><br>Thanks everyone<br>-Anders<br>[/quote]<br><br>Do you necessarily need new ones or are used ones OK? And do you want the thick "heavy duty" ones or are the ones with the thin dust shields suitable? I don't find the thick ones too often, but I can get the ones with the thin dust shields(which I knock off anyway) all day long. I sell them for $40/set including shipping. Contact me offline if you're interested.<br><br>Todd Z.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Just abourt any Chevy backing plate off a 70's Dana 44 will work. Most junkyards have them fairly cheap. As for C.O.R.E., Mike is the man for these parts. Did me right on a couple of purchases - including backing plates. Just checked the link int the Parts and Suppliers link and it works