• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Champion rad & TB Shroud & TB fan doesn't fit..........help

NMHS

I tried to install a 4 core champion radiator with a TB shroud and the shroud doesn't fit because it's hitting the TB metal fan and even though the shroud mounting holes line up with radiator holes its not going to work because the fan is touching the shroud. Any thoughts or ideas to fix this?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Pics would help. What size fan are you running? Did the shroud fit before the new radiator was installed?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I have the Champion 3 core because someone said the 4 core is too big. Anyway, I don't even have a shroud and the engine (351w) stays at 190. Granted I haven't driven the bronco, but it has sat idling with 100 degree weather and never went higher than 190. My thought is try without the shroud. A 4 core should cool better than the 3 core.

And I 3rd the body lift question?

ffhend26

Loc.
Henderson
Just installed a 3 core with Ron Davis full circle aluminum shroud. I had to switch fans though. If you have a baxters auto parts near, they have a good selection of fans. Also call flex a lite out o fife Washington an they can help you pick out the right fan for your needs

OP
OP
N

NMHS

Sorry, I haven't been able to get any pictures. I will as soon as I can. I don't have a body lift but I have a Tom's Bronco Shroud, 3 core Champion radiator (Its cool where I live) and a 18" TB flex fan. I purchased the 4 core radiator brackets from TB and they were real loose so I then purchased BC Broncos 4 core radiator brackets because I read somewhere they were better. Well they to were to large as well.

I thought I read somewhere that I needed 4 core radiator mounts for the Champion 3 core radiator? Do I need the 3 core brackets? I checked again on that shroud and when I line up the holes for the shroud and the radiator the top and top left portion of the fan is touching shroud. I'm dumbfounded. Should I call TB parts? I might be looking to sell a TB shroud..................

ffhend26

Loc.
Henderson
I actually got my 4 core stainless brackets from jeffs bronco graveyard and they fit my champion 3 core perfect. Not loose at all.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'd make sure your shroud is not made for a specific bodylift. I wonder if you have have a shroud for a one inch BL. I have the Champion 3 core, 3 core mounts were small so I got BC's 4 core stainless mounts. Once installed the radiator leaned in at the top towards engine. I ended up modifying the mounts so that the radiator sat straight up.

The only difference b/ urs and mine is I used the original 7 blade fan. One option is to trim ur 18" fan a lil bit say to 17". Just a thought.

OP
OP
N

NMHS

I'd make sure your shroud is not made for a specific bodylift. I wonder if you have have a shroud for a one inch BL. I have the Champion 3 core, 3 core mounts were small so I got BC's 4 core stainless mounts. Once installed the radiator leaned in at the top towards engine. I ended up modifying the mounts so that the radiator sat straight up.

The only difference b/ urs and mine is I used the original 7 blade fan. One option is to trim ur 18" fan a lil bit say to 17". Just a thought.

How did you modify your mounts? Would trimming the fan offset the balance of the motor?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
NMHS, here is a thread I wrote on Carolina Bronco's website: http://carolinabroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4137 . Here are some pics
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As far as trimmimg the fan I dont know. I could prolly think of some stupid ways of doing it to make sure its concentric (perfectly balanced) but I'm not gonna tell. The blades need to be close to balanced.
I'd start with making sure radiator is square. It the top is leaning in then you need to modify the mount supports or the mounts themselves (like I did). That may solve your issues.
Have you thought about going back to the original fan blade? You may need to get a shorter fan spacer ($13) at Napa.
Can you post any pics?